Weeds, grass and moisture under deck

Old 04-10-06, 02:47 AM
Toddler
Visiting Guest
Weeds, grass and moisture under deck

My deck is on the north side of the house. I've got major moss issues due to poor drainage and bare patches of earth. I also have a cantilevered overhang that extends about 3 feet from the house and runs the entire length of the north side.

My question has to do with this shady, moist area under the cantilever, and the shady, moist and weed-ridden area under the deck. What am I supposed to do with this? I am pretty new to home ownership, and I just don't know how to maintain it. Should I lay a bed of rocks, mulch or something else in these ares where I don't want anything to grow? I can't mow or weed these areas very well, all they do is stay dark and wet, growing moss and weeds.

Ideas are appreciated. I'm here to learn.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-06, 12:10 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For area's such as that we've either completely enclosed the base all together so the only thing you have to worry about landscaping wise is on the exterior side of the deck-not under neath it.

For other budgets/projects we've used both 6mil plastic or landscaping fabric and after posts are in we bring in loads of rock and completely cover under side of base. If using platic you just need to be sure grade is such it will allow water to drain away from the home-thus landscaping fabric works particulary well pending grade-you still want fall starting at house and going out into yard to keep any water away from foundation.

Sounds like rock would be a great easy solution to your problem. Then you could easily extend your "rock bed" out further from the deck and plant bushes/shrubs for more eye appeal.

Old 04-10-06, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm having a deck built and I'm going with rock for my groundcover. My deck builder is doing what was suggested above. He will ay fabric, then cover it with rocks. Beyong that I will add some edging to keep the rocks at bay, then mulch around it and make some nice flower beds in the yard. Eventually I hope to someday possible enclose the area to use as storage, but thats many years off.

Stavs