hydraulic oil for staining pt wood?

Old 04-22-06, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hydraulic oil for staining pt wood?

Recently heard a rumour that hyraulic oil can be used to stain pt exterior wood on a deck to give it an appearance of cedar.
Any truth to this?
Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-06, 09:34 AM
You could probably do that but why would you want a slippery, smelly, and footprint tracking substance on your deck? Probably against EPA rules also.

Old 04-22-06, 11:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not to mention a gallon of hydraulic oil will cost more than a gallon of approved stain any day. And eeewwww what a mess!!!

Old 04-22-06, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
If it were good for this purpose, it would be marketed for it. Stick with actual deck sealing products other than Thompson's.

Old 04-23-06, 04:49 AM
A Big Thanks

Well I had similar thoughts about this oil stuff as a wood preservative and stain. Thank you all so much for keeping me off that slippery smelly slope...Enjoy this spring day all.
John

Old 04-23-06, 07:14 AM
I treated a shed ramp with bar oil the one time. Wasn't my idea though. I left the 1gal jug open and my dog knocked it over and it ran down the ramp. It worked extremely well as a waterproofing. But it also attracted dirt and was slippery as ice when wet.

Old 12-16-13, 11:38 PM
Used Hydralic oil as stain.

Hi all,

I am a mechanic in New Zealand and have used hydraulic oil to stain deck and fence timber.

Note: This was used hydraulic oil.

Its very good to recycle old oil and hydraulic oil is a good one to use. It is a very light oil and if you add certain things, you can change its colour to suit e.g adding drawing charcoal to the oil will turn it a nice dark colour.

Using this oil will not only protect the wood but give it a nice colour. This oil will not be slippery as long as you let it bake in on a hot sunny day.

Regards
KiwiDIY

Old 12-19-13, 04:10 AM
recycling & re-purposing's good,,, we used to sprinkle used oil on the driveway & road to keep dust down,,, what a nitemare when it was time to sell the property however, it was perfectly legal to use tackcoat on dirt when we were paving - never quite understood that logic

didn't know hydraulic oil ever ' wore out ', tho - maybe it just does that down near oz

Old 12-19-13, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
stadry, you're letting your age show I remember the county trucks that used to oil down all the dirt/gravel roads .... and we all thought it was a good thing

Farmers often apply used oils as a cheap preservative for wood. I have a section of fence behind the barn that I apply a mixture of used motor oil and TWS to every year or two - cheap and effective