deck questions

Old 05-16-06, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
deck questions

I am going to build a 16' long 14' wide deck/. I am wondering how far apart to place the posts? I will use 2"x10"s for the floor joists. Is there a formula to figure out how far apart to set the joists? And how to attach the rim joists to the posts? nail on top of pots or bolt to the ide of the post. Answer to these 2 questions should put me well on my way to building this deck. Thanks for the help...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-06, 06:34 AM
deckgrasshopper
Visiting Guest
Deck questions

Here are a few answers:

1. I'm assuming you are going to run your top boards the full 16' length so as to minimize waste, which means your 2x10 joists will run that 14' width. These joists will rest on a 16' beam which will, in turn, rest on 3 posts. So you need to locate your posts to accomodate your beam which will also run 16'

Here's my advice: Becuase you are using 2x10's for joists you can get away with just 3 posts but you should use a cantilever design (trust me - it makes the project simpler)

If your width is 14', then place your posts 12' from the house and space them at 2', 8' and 14' along your length. This way the deck will cantilever 2' over the beam, and the beam will cantilever 2' over the end posts on either side.

You should place your 16' (2x) beam on top of 4x4 or 6x6 posts and secure them with post/beam connectors made by Simpson.

Then run joists over the top of the beam and connect them with simpson hurricane ties.

The rim joist is just like the other joists in how it connects to the beam - run it over the top. The rim joist should not connect to the post in this design.

That's my two cents.