My low deck project

Old 05-22-06, 10:17 PM
sastek
Visiting Guest
My low deck project

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice when I asked questions before.

I live in Texas and want to build a nice deck but I only have about 7 inches from grade to the bottom of the door.

I had decided that I would get someone in to pour a concrete slab then fasten PT 4 x 4 sleepers to it (cut like a wedge to level the deck) and lay composite decking on top of the sleepers. Obviously the deck wonít last too long because the PT is in direct contact with the concrete. Other options were to use Plastic or Composite lumbar for the sleepers if this is allowed by code.

A friend was over at the weekend and he suggested that I should just build this low deck for about 4 feet out from the house then step up to a traditionally built freestanding deck, I liked this plan so I looked into it a bit more, but I couldnít find anything about building codes for doing this, I know you canít step up immediately when leaving a door, but is four feet enough before a step up? the low height will run the length of the house.

Iíve called the local building department a few times but the guy I need to speak to is never available.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-06, 06:48 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maybe you could get some sort of rain collection system to keep most of the rain from landing on the slab. I'm doing a similar deck 7.5" above grade, and I'm using piers and just putting the PT right on the concrete with a bracket. So there will be direct contact to the concrete.

I would guess that the PT would last somewhere around 20+ years with direct contact to the concrete piers. That's long enough for me. Doing a whole slab though may not help the life.

I wouldn't use a composite. They don't really have any structural strength

Jeff