exterior polyurethane

Old 07-20-06, 10:34 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question exterior polyurethane

I have just finished repairing and repainting a wood porch. Is it a good idea to apply an exterior polyurethane to prevent scratching and peeling? If so, which kind is best?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-06, 12:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Generally it isn't a good idea to apply poly over paint.

What did you paint the porch with? Is it covered or usually exposed to the elements?

Old 07-20-06, 06:32 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks.
The porch was previously painted with exterior porch/deck paint. I scraped and sanded, then applied Behr exterior primer and sealer. Then I painted with Behr exterior porch/deck paint. It looks good but I am afraid the chairs will scratch it. I also have kids that play on the porch. It is a wrap around porch with half of it getting the full brunt of the weather. The other half just gets lots of sunlight. Is there anything out there that will help? By the way, the wood is not in the best of shape so I am really trying to preserve it.

Old 07-20-06, 07:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I've never used any of Behr's deck paint. As long as it is a porch and deck enamel it shouldn't need any added protection. The oil base p&d enamels dry harder [less apt to scratch/mar] than the latex p&d enamels. As long as the floor is well painted it shouldn't deteriate any further - atleast not from the top side [weather]

The problem with applying a marine poly over it is, it may change the color [poly ambers] and you may run into issues when it is time to repaint.