Stain on PT deck

Old 08-04-06, 11:34 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stain on PT deck

I finihed my deck 2 months ago.
I read that the deck should be dry before staining it. How can I know it is dry enough? We have had rain here in Montreal every evening during the last 2 weeks. Does this mean the deck is not dry yet or the surface becoming wet (and then dry the next day) does not count?
The home store guy told me I should wait or one year before covring the deck with stain as according to him, the PT lumber will destroy the stain. Is this correct?
Thanks
Cyrus

Old 08-04-06, 11:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
PT wood should be allowed to dry until the moisture content is between 12 & 20%. If kiln dried, this could be immediately. If not, normal drying time to this level is 4-8 weeks. If in doubt, waiting a few extra weeks is ok, but you don't need to wait the full year the clerk told you.

Old 08-04-06, 04:35 PM
C
So the "moisture contenet" being dried does not have anything to do with the surface of the PT wood being wet due to the rain. Correct?
Cyrus

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-30-06 at 07:05 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary quote
Old 08-05-06, 05:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyrus
So the "moisture contenet" being dried does not have anything to do with the surface of the PT wood being wet due to the rain. Correct?
Cyrus
Correct. Although, you obviously wouldn't want to stain wood that's wet from recent rain and lots of rain will slow down the drying process.

Old 08-13-06, 01:32 PM
P
The proper prep is essential to making sealer stick to new PTP.

Web/e-mail addresses not permitted.

Last edited by majakdragon; 08-13-06 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-24-06, 09:28 AM
J
pre-wet the "seasoned" wood

you need to use a Mill Deglazer on PT wood before staining it. I used Coronado's Maxum water based semi-transparent stain (New Cedar) on my deck. The instructions advised to apply to a dry deck; however, the paint company that sold me the stain said to apply to a wet deck. Of course, my deck was allowed to dry about six months before I stained it.

I simply wet the wood, then wiped it down with a towel so there was no standing water. The wood itself was still "wet". This "pre-wetting" allowed for greater penetration of the stain and seemed to work very well. In fact it worked much better than the portion (a bench) of the deck I stained first and stained it dry. I have found that the water-based stain on the portions I stained wet is much deeper and richer in color and beads water very nicely when it rains. It really seems like the portion of the deck I stained while it was "pre-wetted" took the stain much better than the bench I stained dry... plus your stain will go a lot further this way.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-06, 05:49 PM
F
Originally Posted by Cyrus
I finihed my deck 2 months ago.
I read that the deck should be dry before staining it. How can I know it is dry enough? We have had rain here in Montreal every evening during the last 2 weeks. Does this mean the deck is not dry yet or the surface becoming wet (and then dry the next day) does not count?
The home store guy told me I should wait or one year before covring the deck with stain as according to him, the PT lumber will destroy the stain. Is this correct?
Thanks
Cyrus

See my post from today... I didn't wait long enough and the stain just peeled off the wood.......you better wait...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: