What spacer material to use to level pre-existing deck

Old 08-12-06, 10:47 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What spacer material to use to level pre-existing deck

Deck leveling

I built my deck 10 years ago and it is no longer level. The deck is above the ground with the support built using pressure treated posts on concrete deck blocks. To level the deck I am planning to place a spacer between the pressure treated post and the concrete deck block.

My question is what material I should use for the spacer. The spacer thickness I will need to level the deck will range from of an inch to 1.5 inches.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-06, 05:32 AM
M
I did something similar once using pieces cut from a scrap pressure-treated 4x4. I did not cut the shims across-grain, but with the grain for strength. I just cut a bunch of them in varying widths so I'd have different thicknesses to work with at each post. It seemed to work out OK for me. I suppose the pre-cut tapered door shims would work OK, too, though I'd be tempted to spray them first with copper green.

Old 08-13-06, 09:19 AM
What spacer material to use to level pre-existing deck

10 years is a long time in the life of a deck.

If it is still in good cindition, you may consider proper supports. The original block settled or were heaved by frost and may continue to do so. Differential settlement gives constant racking when loaded and will shorten the life.

Dick