Ground cover between patio stones

Old 08-13-06, 06:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are getting ready to lay a flagstone patio approx. 5'x20' on side of house and plan to have ground cover between the stones. Everything I read talks of putting gravel & sand down for a base but if I want ground cover between the stones should I do either of those? Or should we just till up the dirt and make sure when we lay the stones that they are level and on solid soil? My concern is that the plants won't have enough dirt to grow if there is sand/gravel underneath. First time project for us!

Old 08-13-06, 08:35 PM

If you do not have a soild base under your stones, you can expect them to rock and settle.

I have seen many applications using vegitation growing in the soil between the stones. It would be best to look to the Landscaping portion of the forum for plants that will grow in your area. Usually these plants are quite vigorous and can survive in the soil between stones and geeting their roots into the base material. Obviously, the thickness of the flagstones is a factor.

Dick

Old 08-14-06, 03:51 AM
J
You don't need soil between the stones.

Many plants will grow well in rockdust and gravel [including a LOT of lawns weeds.]

Irish moss [which is not a moss] and creeping thyme are some of the more popular choices.

Seed immediately; there are few things less pleasant than weeding a stone patio.

Go to www.stepables.com for ideas and plants [I've haven't bought from them yet].

I just ordered some seeds from www.outsidepride.com; I can't recommend them yet, but others have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: