screen porch load question?

Old 09-02-06, 07:08 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I added a 12x14 deck to my house last year and now I want to add a screened porch. It is attached to the house and is also supported by 6 4x4's bolted to 8" concrete tubes 4' deep...4 feet off the ground.

This link is pretty much the plan I am looking for...

http://www.decksusa.com/porches/porch-plans.htm
(scroll half way down)

Will the supports I have be enough to hold the added weight?

Anyone know where I can get a materials list for this project? I am not planning on doing this till next year and I want to get an estimated cost of materials. I checked with Home Depot and Menards and neiter of them have plans for this.

Thanks for any help..and hope I have added enough info.

Old 09-02-06, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Just as the plans order form says, you will need copies to get a permit.

It may be best to get someone local draw up the plans for the enclosure. The loads for the roof will be the same as they are for your home, since it could possibly be converted at a later date.

Your local code may have standards for the type of supporting piers required and the alowable loads and required depth. If you got a permit for the deck you should be in pretty ggod shape if you have the plans presented properly. Plan inspections and permits help protect a person from their own mistakes and future purchasers.

Without a permit for the enclosure you will run into problems when it comes to selling the home.

Dick

Old 09-03-06, 06:01 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply. I am kinda in a limbo state here. We are a new subdivision, so we need permits for everything. I wanted to get an idea of the total cost and if I needed to make mods to the deck before actually spending any money.

I think I will be stopping into the county office next week.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-06, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You may have to replace the 4x4's underneath with footings and block supports to meet local code as a potential living area. I'd definitely check with them first, and see exactly what they will be expecting. Then you can go to the drawing board.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: