Deck Stain

Old 09-14-06, 05:44 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Stain

Hello,
I put down Behr solid color stain on my deck and after a few years, it is peeling away. I don't think leaving the remaining stain on and painting over the peeled spots is the answer. Will a pressure washer strip the acrylic latex stain off? I don't want to use a chemical stripper because I need to strip the underside of the deck too.
I was not satisfied when I put this stain down because it was difficult to apply as it was drying on my brush too soon even after adding water to thin it. The sun had already passed overhead and the deck was cool. I think I will try Benjamin Moore stains or Sherwood Williams this time around.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-06, 06:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
Was the behr solid stain rated for decks or siding? You can definetetly get a better coating at BM or SWP.

Odds are real good that a pressure washer will remove the rest of the stain. Using a deck cleaner prior to pressure washing will both clean the wood and help to remove the stain. Be carefull with the PW as too much concentrated pressure can chew up the wood.

Old 09-14-06, 12:19 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes,
Its rated for decks and siding. I have seen comments from the contractors forum that were negative about Behrs stain products and I won't purchase it. Thanks for the tip on the pressure washer so I am going to leave this job to the pro's for stripping and re-staining. They will have a paint sprayer which I don't have and better skill at using the pressure washer.