Railings: Trex Composite vs PVC in white???

Old 09-27-06, 08:20 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Railings: Trex Composite vs PVC in white???

I just finished building a veranda composite deck and would like to put white railings on it. My issue is how well white will hold up. Our decking is light buff and already has stains on it, that are terrible to clean and scrub out. I don't want it to be worse with white railings. Trex Artisan white series is expensive but the Trex dealer said it can be cleaned with a citrus cleaner and magic eraser. Then there is Veranda PVC white, will it stay white or get ruined from weather, however I'm sure cheaper. I am at a loss for what to purchase. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated here. It is alot of money and I don't want to regret my decision. If I knew Veranda composite stained so easily I would have bought Trex.

Old 09-29-06, 06:33 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have installed quite a bit of vinyl railing -- both white and almond -- and have never had a customer complain about it being uncleanable, discoloring, etc. Just be aware that not all vinyl is created equal.

Vinyl railing is going to be a lot less expensive than a composite railing, and because it doesn't have wood fiber in it, it won't stain as readily. If you decide to go with a vinyl railing, SHOP AROUND and find one of the more expensive ones. There are reasons why some are less expensive than others.

Old 09-29-06, 06:57 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Lefty
I was just reading through some previous posts on railings and I am going today to lumber & HD to shop around. I am leaning toward a more expensive PVC but already priced Trex out at around $1800 (160 sq ft deck). If PVC isn't that much cheaper, do you think it is a better investment in the white Trex???
Also can you recomend any PVC brands, example, fiberon???
It looked from Fiberon's website there's is a mix of composite and PVC, probably just as expensive as all composite but with a smooth coating... Too many choices that I don't want to regret.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: