Composite deck slopes towards house

Old 10-20-06, 06:36 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Composite deck slopes towards house

I bought a home with a composite deck and it looks like the previous owners just screwed it down over an existing wooden deck. It slopes towards the house which I do not like, as I would like to divert all water away from the house/foundation.
Just by looking at it quickly, it seems like it slopes at least a full inch, if not more.

What would the best suggestion be to try and slope this away from the house, while, not destroying any of the composite, or the old deck underneath it for that matter?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-06, 08:32 PM
L
The previous owners PROBALY just screwed the composite on top of the existing deck boards just before they sold the house because it way the least expensive way to make it look good. The underlying wood deck boards are probably trash, as is the framing below that.

Slope on a deck doesn't matter -- the water is going to fall off at the edge of each deck board. It's not going to start at the outer edge of the deck and flow all the way to the house like it would if you were dealing with a concrete slab. What DOES matter is the slope of the ground below the deck.

Old 10-21-06, 02:26 PM
C
You don't say how high the deck is or how it is framed but a no brainer way to pitch the deck away from the house without disturbing the decking and framing would be to jack up the deck slightly and shorten the posts that support the deck down to the footings by an inch or two.