Under my deck

Old 11-17-06, 12:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Under my deck

I am finishing up building a deck and am closing in on the time to put some sort of skirting around it. One end of the deck is approx 9 ft off ground, which I want to use as storage. I thought of spacing 1X4's around it, to match the look of our fence, but the wife axed that idea. Neither of us are crazy about lattice, but that is the only decent option we can come up with. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Old 11-18-06, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,648 Upvotes on 1,476 Posts
If you don't like lattice, I've seen decks totally enclosed underneath with 1x6 rough cedar, 1/8" spacing inbetween. You'd need some horizontal framing between your beams to make this work. I've made doors out of a 2x3 frame and cross members, metal t-bracing let-in to keep it square, then covered with 1x6 cedar to match.

Only problem is, it would take a small fortune to enclose your deck, depending on how large it is.

Old 11-18-06, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
At our previous residence our deck was fairly tall and we used lattice, but also planted some climbing plants [banksia rose like these: http://www.buyplantsonline.com/shop/searchresults.asp?ProdStock=V018] at the base that pretty much covered the lattice after a while.

Old 11-18-06, 11:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Some builders take and save all the short peice Of 2X4" they have . Take and lay them on the 2" side .Then just like nail one in to the center of another. just work them up to what looks good is all . Cut and frame around the outside of it with full 2X4's.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: