Composite decking

Old 12-26-06, 08:54 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Composite decking

I am getting ready to build a deck and would like to go composite.
i would like to know the pro and cons of such a deck and since there are so may makers out there what brand has work the best for others and what hasn't and why.
Also how much a square foot am i looking at

Old 12-26-06, 05:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Just like anything else, cost tends to reflect quality. The more expensive brands tend to fade less and so do the lighter colors. Used to cost quite a bit more than wood (though was still worth it, IMO), but higher lumber prices have narrowed the gap. Only thing I can find wrong with mine is it can get a little slick when wet.

Old 12-26-06, 06:11 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which BRANDS are available to you will depend on where you live. There are over 80 on the market, of which you can probably find 6 or 8 in your local area.

It'll probably cost a bit more up front to go with a composite, as opposed to wood. But maintenance for a composite deck is basically 'keep it clean', whereas wood usually involves sealing/staining on a regular basis (every year or so) and replacing boards as they split and rot. You'll be time and money ahead after 5 years with a composite deck.

"Slippery" depends a lot on the brand and it's finish. One like Rhino or Trex Origins, which has no woodgrain pattern impressed on it is going to be more slippery when wet than one like Weather Best, which does have a pattern embossed on it. And one like Ever Grain, which is compression molded with a VERY heavy wood grain pattern really isn't slippery at all.

Old 12-29-06, 05:03 AM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used Veranda composite for my deck and I am very pleased with the results. Their website also gives you an idea of the color fade to expect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: