New projects this year.

Old 01-16-07, 08:33 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New projects this year.

My upcoming projects this year are siding, roof and decks (front and rear). I plan on building a 6 foot deep by the length of the house, 31 foot, covered deck on the front of the house. Currently there is a small, 5x5, concrete porch which I will either go over top or demo. My question is this...what is the best way to attach the new roof section to the existing structure. Should I cut away the sheathing where the new roof will attach exposing the rafters and scab on to them? Or can I just just attach through the existing sheathing? Here are some pics. The first one is what I have now..a basic cape cod. The second is kind of what I'm shooting for. Any tutorials would be great.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/jclaar/Drawing1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/jclaar/Drawing2.jpg

Old 01-17-07, 04:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is always best to tie the porch rafters to the house rafters solidly. Wait for good weather and go for the inletting of the rafters. You will be changing your pitch so radically, that placing the rafters directly on top of the existing decking won't give adequate nailing area.

Old 01-17-07, 05:40 AM
J
Thanks. That's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask.

Old 01-19-07, 06:50 AM
J
Here's some more detailed drawings. Is this the right way to set it up? Should I also bring joists from the eave to tie in to the rafters of the ceiling of the lower floor or is that overkill?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/jclaar/Drawing3.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/jclaar/Drawing4.jpg

Old 01-19-07, 08:30 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can go to your local bldg. dept. and get a handout that will explain exactly how to tie the cover to the roof of the house. It has to occur directly over the exterior wall.

Old 01-22-07, 07:13 AM
J
Also I will be attaching a ledger to the wall for the deck. The wall is concrete block with stucco over top. How should I attach it?

Old 01-22-07, 02:15 PM
L
Assuming that you have access to the BACKSIDE of the foundation (a crawlspace), use a steel plate on the backside of the blocks and thru-bolt thru the ledger, the stucco, the blocks and the steel. If you can't do that, don't trust the blocks to support the ledger -- make the deck free-standing.

Old 02-23-07, 06:46 AM
J
Support Posts

Okay, here is my next dilemma. I want to use 4x6x12 posts to go from the piers to the roof. I know I should use a girder at the front of the deck. If the girder is set back about a foot from the front edge, how should I support the roof? If I were just using 2 posts it would be okay because the support posts would just be set back a bit on the ends. But since I'm using 4 how should this be done? Should I build the deck as stated and then come off the deck surface with support posts for the roof?

Old 02-23-07, 06:21 PM
L
Build the roof first, with the 4 X 6 posts supporting it continuous from the footings to the outside beam of the roof. When you build the deck, you will simply frame and deck around the posts.

Old 02-23-07, 08:11 PM
J
Okay, thanks.

Old 03-14-07, 08:47 AM
FWIW, a neighbor up the street did this exactly, It looks beautiful and now his porch is the best looking on the street.

He took the opportunity to lay a new roof as well ( I think he's a carpenter by trade).

good luck.

Old 03-14-07, 10:05 AM
J
Yeah, I'm up to about $3,200 in materials total. That includes 6x6 posts and hidden decking fasteners.

Has anyone has their lumber order picked and delivered by Lowe's? I heard someone else on here did and had a good experience. They said only a couple boards were warped and they only charged $50 for delivery. I think it's up to $75 at my local Blue Box. I'm also ordering shingles at the same time. I wonder if they do roof top delivery.

Old 03-15-07, 04:06 PM
J
Bumpity bump bump

Old 05-08-07, 06:00 AM
J
Gettin' there

Well, everything is well underway for the front deck/covered porch. It is really kicking my butt. So far, the only thing I've had help with is digging the footers (two man auger) and holding a couple of pieces of wood in place. I have a lot of people that have offered a hand but none of them have any carpentry skills. The one guy that said he would help and that has skills is in deeper than me with his own projects. Oh well...I hope I can get the tar paper on before the rain Friday. Here's pics...click on the sub albums up at the top of the page:

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/jclaar/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: