Home Depot's Veranda Decking

Old 01-18-07, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Home Depot's Veranda Decking

Has anyone found Veranda composite decking material to be unacceptable? I am totally dissatisfied with the decking that was purchased at Home Depot and the total lack of interest by both the manufacturer of the product and Home Depot to appropriately address the problem identified to them.

Several months ago our church decided to cover and expand the existing concrete porch to our community room. After considerable research, lthough considerably more expensive than conventional decking material, it was decided to construct the new porch using Veranda decking.

Shortly after the porch was constructed it was noticed that several areas of the deck developed significant staining. Further investigation disclosed discoloration from what seemed to be from oil. Since that time considerable additional areas of staining have occurred. Although numerous efforts have been made to remove the stains none have been successful. The overall situation has gotten so unsightly that we are now seriously considering painting over the decking to cover up the stains.

Although the situation was immediately reported to the manufacturer at their web site and re-reported on three additional occasions no acknowledgement or response was ever received. Not getting any response the situation was reported to Home Depot who recently inspected the deck and confirmed the staining problem. However, Home Depot's final decision was "The manufacturer's warranty does not address staining". I find this strange in that the decking is advertised for use in patio and deck construction, both of which are typically eating areas and as such are subject to spills.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-07, 03:30 AM
I installed Veranda (grey) on my deck this past summer and have been happy with it so far BUT it doesn't get a lot of traffic and I don't get too much debris setting on it (leaves, dirt, etc). I did make HD replace three boards however as the straps that bundle it together made rust stains that, although they scrubbed off, were still noticible. When I cleaned the rust from the boards all looked great....until it rained and then the marks were more noticible and when it dryed, were still there.

Old 02-07-07, 07:28 AM
I am not sure if it was the Veranda line of composite decking material I found on the internet, but one of them from Lowe's or Home Depot had a pretty lengthy list of expectations about the material. I seem to recall it, like wood, could stain. It might have been Trex. Anyway, check out the trex website. I think there was instructions for this. Hope this helps even though not necessarily the same product.

Old 02-07-07, 03:06 PM
My understanding is any composite decking needs to be treated with care. Don't use metal snow shovels (gouging can't be sanded out), put down something under the grill (grease stains won't come out), use the composite decking screws and make sure they are compatible with the framing type (pressure treated), don't put down rubber backed rugs (mold can grow underneath), etc. Sure this stuff is meant to be used on decks, which often see lots of action, but like any other plastic product, it's not impermiable.

Composite is great because it doesn't need to be refinished. At the same time, it pretty much CAN'T be refinished, only painted. (Realize if there are oil stains you may need some sort of primer to give the paint something to stick to.)

Old 08-20-08, 09:08 AM
Worst product ever

Please spread the word that nobody should ever use this product. I put a huge deck on the back of my house expecting little maintenance to be required. This product continually gets moldy and spotted to the point where it is unsightly. I have had to scrub the deck with bleach 3 times already this summer to remove these stains. As others have pointed out, the company has not responded to any of my attempts to contact them regarding warranty or replacing the product.

Old 08-20-08, 01:37 PM
To beat a dead horse, (for those of you who haven't heard it before on this site), STAY AWAY FROM THE BIG BOX STORES! Most of their products/materials and services are far inferior. Since this post is about decking, even the Trex bought at the big box stores are made specifically for them. They are made differently than the stuff you get from a real lumber yard.

Old 08-22-08, 03:43 PM
Put on a Veranda board deck last summer. Looks great right now. It is really unfortunate that it gets dirty when my dog runs across it with muddy feet and when my plants splash mud on it. Kinda wish I got the gray instead of the tan however, because surprisingly things that I leave outside and walk on all year long get dirty.

Go ahead and stain your cedar if that's your bag, but AFA composite stuff goes, I'm happy with my veranda.

Old 09-23-08, 12:48 PM
Veranda/Home Depot are short sighted

I am about three quarters done with a 270 square foot redwood deck using Veranda composite railing. The issue I'm currently dealing with is that Veranda has made the decision to ONLY provide their hardware kits (4 brackets with screws) with the 6' and 8' line sections they sell. Their thinking is that if one splits one line section to make more than one run between posts, then one must purchase another line section (minimum $95+ including tax) for each hardware kit needed to install the additional pieces of railing . As these kits come in a plastic bag that is dropped into the box with the railing, it is unfathomable to me that they would not simply order extra kits from the supplier to make available to customers for those occasions when a line section is split--or as replacements for lost or damaged kits. Home Depot is currently "in negotiations" with Veranda to make these kits available to me for purchase. My fear is that the resulting agreement will be to make the kits available for $95 each. Had I known that extra kits would not be readily available, I would not have gone with Veranda. My faith in Home Depot, such as it was, has been shaken to the core since Veranda is basically a wholly-owned subsidiary of Home Depot.

Last edited by CalTex; 09-23-08 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-07-09, 06:47 AM
TW Perry

It's not a big box store, but I redid my deck last summer and found the folks at TW Perry (if you happen to live in the DC Metro area) to be great. They carried all the major composite brands, and I ended up going with Fiberon Tropics. They gave me a contractor account, and I ended up saving a ton of money on hardware. You can see some photos of my fiberon decking, which I'm very happy with at The Ayrlee House Deck Remodeling Project

hope this helps!

-Dave

Old 02-24-09, 07:04 AM
gray veranda Slotted Decking

I had a gray veranda slotted deck installed in July 2008. Only two of the twenty foot boards are gray. All the other boards turned to light brown and have remained light brown. I am addressing this problem with veranda, but am wondering if anyone else has had this same problem.

Old 02-24-09, 11:22 AM
azek decking

Has any on tried Azek decking live in the new york area looking to replace a 11x 9 wooden deck any suggestions.Heard that trex gets moldy & very hot thi sAzek is said to be all vinyl no wood at all . If anyone has tried it pleas post a reply .Thanks

Old 02-24-09, 03:31 PM
tonig,

I answered your question in the "Trex vs. ProCell" thread. Heat is not an issue with Azek decking.

Old 03-09-09, 05:43 PM
Here is a copy of my reply to another thread-
We built a deck a few years ago with what is now Veranda decking from Home Depot- I would not recommend any composite decking to anyone until they figure out this mildew issue. Our deck is beige, full sun and covered in black mildew spots. We have used multiple deck cleaners and nothing works. We pressure wash it and it will lighten them for a couple of weeks and then come back even worse. We replaced an existing wood deck that never had any mildew issues, so we know it is the composite. If I had known it would be this much work and still look this bad I never would have used it. I have some pictures I took because I am filing a complaint with the BBB, but I don't know how to post them here.

Old 06-05-09, 06:11 AM
Im in the process of finishing a veranda deck on my house its the biggest mistake i ever made!!!! First off there should be a questionnaire added to the product when you buy it!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
First do you plan to use the deck when itís completed if answered yes donít buy this product. Its stains very easily. 2 it shrinks 45 degree angles look great on second and open the next not a stable product buts that expected. But the really dangerous problem is in the winter if thereís a frost do not under any circumstances try to go down a Veranda stair case YOU will Fall!!!! Lastly it wears out the surface becomes smooth and this is only a year old. It is a dangerous product. PS a read theres a recall on this product.

Old 06-05-09, 10:02 AM
I built a gray Trex deck four years ago that has been great. It gets no hotter than wood or concrete out in the sun. I have cleaned mine with a water, bleach, Jomas solution once which brightened it up. I do blow it off every morning. I don't drag anything across it cause it is somewhat soft. I don't drink cranberry juice while on it. I don't get grease around it. I treat it with respect and it treats me good.....no splinters, no twisting, no cracking, no rotting, and oh yes, no NEVER any sealing, restaining.

Old 06-08-09, 12:08 PM
Unhappy Crumbling veranda deck material

We installed Veranda deck material purchased at Home Depot two years ago. Our deck is crumbling at the ends. Has anyone else had this problem?

We have not experienced a stain problem as of yet.

Old 06-09-09, 01:44 PM
Veranda Decking

we purchased our Decking in 2005- last summer we noticed it started to break apart on some edges- this spring it looks like dust.... its crumbling apart -we called Home Depot they gave us a number to call -we did -they gave us another number to call we did - guess what? their is a recall on this stuff - buyers beware... people are falling through and getting hurt. please be safe ~ get it fixed.

Old 06-14-09, 02:57 PM
I have found this thread to be very informative. I am currently researching composites for a deck my husband plans to build, and it looks like we will be staying away from Veranda. Anyone have any thoughts on LifeTime Lumber? They seem to offer an excellent product and its PCV free, which I like.

Old 06-15-09, 01:43 AM
Check out my post under "Installing Trex"

Old 07-05-09, 09:36 AM
Thumbs up

We first installed a ****** deck about seven years ago. We had the natural color. Spent endless hours with bleach and a power washer cleaning mildew off the deck every summer. We finally managed to get the deck warranted(materials only) 2 years ago. We went with the cedar color since natural was d/c'd, It has been absolutely great ever since. We have one small area that gets some light mildew but that is due to the drip system watering plants on a backers rack 2X/day, a little bleach in a spray bottle and a hose takes care of it . We have had no real issues with grease stains. A product called **** and Dawn dish soap(must be this brand) works well on grease stains thus far. Even cleaned up chocolate cupcake frosting a 2 year old squished into the deck. We do keep the BBQ off the deck. *****has a web page that has recommended products for cleaning specific stains.

NoAds.com

The only thing I would change about the deck is not going with the ***, love the seamless/ screw less look but constantly in fear of damaging a board in the center of the deck and needing to rip 1/2 the deck out to repair it. Next house will have the solid boards and a underneath fastening system.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 07-05-09 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Link removed
Old 07-24-09, 12:07 PM
Veranda unacceptable, dont recomend

I had thier decking installed and handrails 3 years ago. All decking had to be replaced due to defects and when new decking came in I had to send boards back for same problem. When I recieved Hand railing had same problem. Was also all replaced. This slowed my deck down 2 months to recieve new product.
ONE YEAR LATER, hand railing started cracking, This year I filed complaint because cracks are now running in two directions spreading to 1/8". Very noticable and will be safety issue in another year or two. Veranda or "Fiber Composites" gave money back on railing and but wont cover installation of coarse. They did not offer to replace because they dont make that color or length any more. So now no matter what my deck wont match colors. Recall on the West side of the US (Decking Recall) but mine did not come under it (different factory) I did file complaint with CPSC
No dont recomend. Like they said in previous post, HD just refers to Manufacturer so dont exspect anything out of them.
Yes mold does grow on it, stained easy but newer stuff might not. Easy to work with. All holes MUST be predrilled. Good luck

Old 11-16-09, 03:53 PM
We installed Veranda decking in 2007, and have had mold problems ever since. We used lots of different products, but only bleach made it look better. However, I did some internet research and have learned that bleach only makes mold WORSE. It doesn't kill it at the root, and since it is water based, only adds to the problem. A new product, ConcrobiumXT might be worth trying. Has anyone any experience with it on composite decking?

Old 12-17-09, 12:06 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by holmdel1 View Post
I had a gray veranda slotted deck installed in July 2008. Only two of the twenty foot boards are gray. All the other boards turned to light brown and have remained light brown. I am addressing this problem with veranda, but am wondering if anyone else has had this same problem.
You bet. I have at least 6 different colors on my deck. I started the complaint with HD in Jan of '09 and was told to wait for 3-6 months. Silly me! I thought that there was a real concern. In July, HD still had the Veranda samples that I had supplied. Today, Dec 17th, I received an offer from the manufacturer. HD doesn't care and Fiber Composites pulls the stall tactic. By the way, I have 1020 linear feet.

Old 02-12-10, 01:05 PM
Veranda Decking - MOLD!

Originally Posted by kariregan View Post
We installed Veranda decking in 2007, and have had mold problems ever since. We used lots of different products, but only bleach made it look better. However, I did some internet research and have learned that bleach only makes mold WORSE. It doesn't kill it at the root, and since it is water based, only adds to the problem. A new product, ConcrobiumXT might be worth trying. Has anyone any experience with it on composite decking?
I also live in CT, had Veranda decking installed in summer 2008, within a year it looked terrible with black spots in areas not protected by the overhang, meaning they came from the rain! I tried cleaning it myself (spots went away temporarily), then contacted the manufacturer who promised me that if I try Corte-Clean (ironically only available at Lowe's) it will work, but I must wait until spring, and I should only have to do it 2 times per year. I posted a note on Facebook on Home Depot's page about my dissatisfaction with the product, and they contacted me immediately, but they then put the onus on the manufacturer. HD said they had not heard of this complaint from enough other people to stop selling the product or replace my deck with another brand's material. Odd because the person who recommended it to me, and was initally a fan of the product, told me he and others experienced the same problems but I guess they did not report it to HD. So, I will see if the Corte-Clean works once the warm weather arrives. Luckily my deck is relatively small as it sounds like a pain in the neck process to do. By the way, Corte-Clean is not cheap - $25 for a bag!

Old 07-05-10, 10:46 AM
4 years ago, I had installed at a beach house on high pilings, about 700 ft.≤ of veranda decking, 80 feet of railing, and 2 outside stairways. I do not recommend this product. Problems have included:
1. Supposedly stainless steel hinges rusting. I was reimbursed their cost but, as noted elsewhere, not the cost of replacement. I control this with phosphoric acid rust converter every couple of months. The stainless screws also rust but not as noticeably because confined to the screwdriver opening.
2. Although I have not had problems with color variation in the decking, the railings and posts do not match each other or the decking. All are supposed to be cedar.
3. Mold is an endemic problem at the beach and I use a garden sprayer with half-and-half bleach and water every 3-4 months. Stains are a challenge; if fresh, brushing with dish soap (which is grease cutting) works. Otherwise, I have had good success with Krudcutter.
4. All of my lower rails have cracked at the inside of the L and I am awaiting reimbursement for the materials, but they cannot be replaced because they are 8 footers which are no longer made. Fortunately, my carpenter tells me that they are not a structural danger. I may lay a bead of caulking in for aesthetics.

Old 07-23-10, 09:51 AM
Decking Choices

I just built a deck using Veranda. No real issues with the installation or coloration but its only been 2 weeks so we'll see.

Interesting, I read some of the earlier comments about Trex different from different outlets etc.

I got a flyer on a material called Latitudes . It might just be a northeast offering. The comment though is this: In the latitudes specs it clearly states the manufacturer name (in Norht Carolina as I recall) and the other names that this stuff is know as: Veranda being one of them. And a bunch of other names I did not recognize. My guess is those are associated with lines from other big chains etc.

IMHO I would guess there are 2 or 3 manufacturerers of composite decking, and someone yells out to the shop floor, hey stop the Trex, make some Veranda and a worker slops on new labels after changing the surface pattern.

Trex is now making an Azek competing product. These are pure plastic (and look it) but supposedly address the staining issues and so forth associated with the other wood-plastic composites.

Like everything else in life there are trade offs. I have a PT deck over 25 years old in good shape. I stain it every 3-4 years with a semi tranparent stain which I think helps a lot. But more work compared to Trex et al. My dad always said: there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 09-07-10, 01:25 PM
Veranda Decking Installation Instructions

Does any one have a copy of Veranda Decking/Railing Installation Instructions from 2005. I went to Veranda's website and they updated their installation instructions in 2007 so I was trying to find the old directions. The railing that was installed was 8' long and it is sagging. They no longer recommend installing railing over 6'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-11-10, 01:48 PM
Home Depot Veranda Decking

The Veranda Decking material is a disaster; (1200 sq ft) our deck looks terrible; the edges don't match anymore; the colors don't match at all; some of the pieces are crumbling; very disappointed with their reception to the problem. We were sent around to different numbers. Finally talked with someone. We will see how it goes. What about the time and labor spent hauling it home and everyone saying how wonderful it worked. Geez!

Old 10-18-10, 05:04 AM
Thumbs down Veranda Decking - Do Not Buy !

After 2 years this stuff is terrible! Customer service never answers any emails, unable to clean my deck after trying 5 different products, ever board is a different color.

Old 11-04-10, 06:25 PM
same here!!! first year-ok. after that-MILDEW. checked with the store-what? a problem? haven't heard that before!!!! do I keep scrubbing and bleaching!!!

Live and learn!

Old 06-02-11, 10:11 AM
Hello,

I am in process of dealing with the black mildew spots, and are wondering if the corte-Clean worked for you??

Thanks!!