using nail gun for deck building

Old 01-19-07, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking using nail gun for deck building

Well, its getting that time of year again - outdoor projects. I was looking for an excuse to justify getting a framing nail gun. I'm looking at building a 34 feet by 14 feet deck 6 feet up ( free standing). I figured it would take forever to screw together all that wood, and as for hammering!, my arms would fall off!, so what about using a framing nailer? I have a compressor for my brad nailer, figure I'd get a framing nailer ( it just cant be used very fast).

Are there special nails for decking? ( for use in a nailer). Any one used a nailer for deck construction, any comments?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-07, 08:26 AM
Nail guns works just fine for constructing the framing -- better than screws and faster than a hammer! But don't use it for installing the deck boards themselves. Use deck screws that are approved for the decking and the framing material that you are using.

If you are using PT lumber for the framing, use only HD galvanized nails to assemble it. Except for stainless, the chemicals in ACQ will eat any other metal that it comes in contact with.

Old 01-19-07, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Don't nail down the decking boards!!

I used a framing nailer when I built my deck about 5 years ago for exactly the reason you said: to justify the purchase of the framing nailer to my wife (and me). Big mistake! I used galvanized ring shank nails thinking they would hold, but those darn things still work themselves up and have to be knocked back down at least once a year. Like Lefty said, use the framing nailer for the structure, but not for the decking.

Old 01-19-07, 08:27 PM
CanadianInIowa,

Bruce H learned the hard way -- listen to him and don't make the same mistake!!

Old 01-22-07, 06:53 AM
Talking

Lefty:

I don't know about that...

I think Bruce H still had fun using the new Gun at the time!

They say that if you place the nails at a 30 degree angle, they won't come out. ( You know, one nail I have not seen down here are Gavinized Spiral nails - those suckers will not come out!)

I probably just use a few nails to hold the boards on place, while I screw them. and use the gun on the frame.

Old 01-22-07, 02:11 PM
CanadianInIowa,

I'm a contractor that specializes in decks and patio covers. I walk across over 500 decks a year. I know what happens to those that have the deck boards installed with nails (whether they were put in with a gun or a hammer). Trust me, you don't want to install the deck boards with nails!

Old 01-22-07, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by CanadianInIowa View Post
Lefty:

I think Bruce H still had fun using the new Gun at the time!

They say that if you place the nails at a 30 degree angle, they won't come out. ( You know, one nail I have not seen down here are Gavinized Spiral nails - those suckers will not come out!)
You bet I had fun using that nailer! And was it fast? You bet! Would I do it again for decking? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Just not worth the PIA pounding nails back down at least once a year. And I shot the nails in at maybe 15 degrees; don't know about shooting at 30 degrees, but I would be concerned about what they would look like driven at that steep of an angle.

Old 01-22-07, 05:00 PM
Bruce H,

Of course it was fun! And fast -- MOST ASSUREDLY!! And, you convinced the WIFE that the nail gun was an absolute necessity. (Ye who dies with the most tools WINS!!)

And NOW you're paying for it by having to be out on the deck AT LEAST once a year trying to resink the nails that keep popping.

CanadianInIowa --

THERE YOU HAVE IT!!

Old 01-22-07, 05:21 PM
And let us not forget the fun of running the snow shovel across the deck, hitting a popped nail, and driving the handle through my stomach!!

Old 01-22-07, 05:38 PM
I don't wanna' know about that!! It just couldn't have been a good thing!

Old 01-23-07, 06:09 PM
Sounds like I better get extra battery packs for my DeWalt! and ya, I know what the snow shovel hittin a nail is like! Pole vaulting anyone!

Thanks all, till my next dumb question!