Possible to Span 20ft for Awning?

Old 03-07-07, 03:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible to Span 20ft for Awning?

I have a problem with my deck. There is a picture here: http://www.teddytech.com/images/deck2.jpg. (I couldn't figure out how to post that as an actual link. Can I?)

Anyway, the deck is in Colorado and we get a *lot* of sun in the summertime. I have this beautiful deck which is almost useless because of the intense sun.

I have been trying to figure out what would be the best way to get some shade. I came across a fabric awning from a company called Shadetree. (Here's a link to their site: http://www.shadetreecanopies.com/awnings/house-awnings)

Because of the low eaves and 8ft sliding door I don't think I have any other good alternatives.

The one problem with the basic Shadetree product is that it is aluminum framed. I don't like the looks of that. The Forester product that I linked to above is similar, but it is attached to a wooden frame.

My dilemma is how to cross the open step on the deck without a post. The deck is about 19ft wide. I'm going to come out from the house about 15ft to a 4x4 or 4x6 on each side and then run between them with something.

I'm wondering if a can use two 2x10x20ft boards? There is no snowload, I think there would be minimal weight at all just the fabric. (We do have a wind issue here -- 90 mph sustained or 135 mph 3 second gust is the building guideline -- and this product seems to be fairly tolerant of the wind.)

Any better suggestions?

Thanks,
Teddy

Old 03-13-07, 03:45 PM
why not a 4 post pergola?

Rather than stretch that fabric awning in an area with occasional wind issues building something more robust that design wise could feature a taller frame than the roofline could look nice. Although, it would add cost to the job above an awning or a retractable awning.

Old 03-14-07, 11:02 AM
T
The biggest reason is the same one I wrote about. It's that 20ft span. The other direction is about 16ft. I would rather not put posts in the middle of my deck and it seemed like the awning was the best way to handle that.

I'm not even sure what size lumber would be required to span that with a building requirement of 30lb snowload and 90mph winds.

Plus, this awning fabric will give almost 100% coverage whereas any type of pergola is going to let in quite a bit of sun depending on the time of day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: