Rhonda again...I Know I Know..:)

Old 03-13-07, 03:54 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rhonda again...I Know I Know..:)

I am building an elevated deck ... Size 20 x 24. It is on a slope .. height will be 4 feet in the airat one end and 7 at the other. I will also be building a Tiki bar on it and railings at a later date.

Big Box told me to use 2 x 12's and 2 x 8's and make a double rim joist for the decking using 1/2 x 8 inch bolts and nuts to attach to the sides of my 4 x 4 posts.

I have read it is a stronger foundation to use 4 x 4's for the beams and go on top of my 4 x 4 posts. One handiman told me to just use smaller 2x's and go with the double rim joists. He told me to use 2 x 6's for inner and outer rim joists.

Can someone please tell me what I should use considering the size of deck, the hillside slope, the elevation and that I will also have a Tiki Bar and Railings built at a later date.

Deck Size 20 x 24, elevation is 7 feet at bottom 4 feet at top, bottom is lake side in moist/wet soil with pier footings 2 feet deep and 8 inches in diameter( see previous post).

Thanks so much for you help!

Rhonda

Old 03-14-07, 06:52 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Joists

I do not fully understand your post configuration, but here goes:

Do not use 4x4's as beams. Use 2x8's as a minimum, doubled, 6 ft. span. Floor joists 16 in. oc, max 12 ft.span.

Old 03-14-07, 07:17 AM
R
Thanks for the reply

Would you suggest 2x8's be on top or side bolted seeing as we will be building a tiki bar on it

Rhonda

Old 03-14-07, 07:25 AM
R
trying to add picture of it

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/Rhondatpa/lakedock-path040.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/Rhondatpa/lakedock-path041.jpg

Old 03-14-07, 07:49 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Beams

Beams on top of posts gives more load bearing strength in the "field" portion of the structure.

Posts around outside perimeter can be notched to accept one of the rim joists and allow the posts to extend upward high enough to provide support for the railing system.

Make sure you use span tables to properly size the beams and joists based on the distance between posts.

Also install bracing from the posts to the beams to assure a sturdy structure.

You have a beautiful location. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: