Stair plans??

Old 03-21-07, 09:45 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stair plans??

I am trying to design stairs for a deck that is 15" high. Each step will be 5" high with the last one being the deck. This means that I need to build two steps. Instead of using stringers I want build it to look like 2 rectangle boxes. The bottom being longer and wider. Does anyone have plans to guide me on something like this or have a suggestion or book they would suggest for this type of stairs? I have been trying to come up with the plan to support these steps, but think I might be making it more complicated than it needs to be.
Thanks!

Old 03-21-07, 01:44 PM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Steps

Each box will have a finished height of 5 inches. A 2x4 turned on edge and 2x for the treads would give 5 inches high. If you want to use 1 inch thick tread material then the frame needs to be 4 inches high and would need to be ripped from stock wider than a 2x4 such as a 2x6. You could get 2 cuts out of a 2x10.

Decide on the step depth from front to back. If you want a 1 inch overhang on the front edge, make the top box depth(front to back) 1 inch less than the desired step depth. Make the bottom frame depth(front to back) twice the depth of the top frame.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Old 03-21-07, 02:34 PM
W
I am planning on using 1" deck board so I will need to make the supports 4" high. My question is...Do I build a box structure and lay the decking on it with a taller box in the middle for the second step? Do I need post under these boxes or should I anchor them to concrete?
I wish I could attach a sketch to better explain this. I'll probably just end up using trial and error.
Thanks for the help!

Old 03-22-07, 03:43 PM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Steps

The footprint for the bottom step covers the entire area of both steps. Then a second box the size of the second step sets on top of the bottom box. Make the frames out of 4 inch wide 2x lumber standing on edge. Add "joists" 16 inches apart to support the 1 inch boards, then nail or screw the boards to the frame.

Old 03-24-07, 10:02 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You'll probably regret making the steps 5" tall. At 15", I would make ONE step that is 7-1/2" above grade, or 7-1/2" below the deck height.

Old 03-24-07, 10:11 PM
T
Most areas require permits for decks and any changes to structure. If deck was not permitted it may not be to code. Contact your local Building Code Office re: permits and codes for decking. There are very specific codes re: steps. If you have not permitted your property in an area where permits are reinforced then you have set yourself up for issues at time of resale. Savvy buyers pull permits.

Old 03-24-07, 10:30 PM
L
twelvepole,

Good point about the permit issue. It varies from one jurisdiction to another. Where I'm at, if the deck is less than 30" above grade, then it's a "platform", not a deck, and no permit is required.

Two risers at 7-1/2" each is going to be more comfortable than 3 risers at 5" each, at least in my opinion. and a 7-1/2" riser is the same size as a 2X8. I always use the 'KISS' meathod whenever I can -- Keep It Simple Stupid!!

Old 03-28-07, 02:39 PM
W
Too late on the two step plan.
I ended up building the steps by making 2 platforms on top of each other. I also framed out each step with a skirt board with mitered corners. This way they will match the look of the deck. I had to make one set for the 15" side of the deck and one for the 17" high side of the deck. Giving them each 2 actually makes the deck look better.
I used the Riser: 4" min 7"max, Tread 11" min rule. This is what it states is best in the Architectual Graphic Standards book. (I'll probably skip a step, but kids might like to use them all safely)
No I didn't get a permit, but I did build it to code (probably over built it actually).
Once it is complete I plan to post the pictures since I have gotten lots of advice from this site! Thanks for all the help!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: