What drainage pipe should be used under patio?

Old 03-31-07, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are planning to put down drainage pipe under our rebuild patio. Should the pipe be under the compact base or in the base? What kind of pipe are strong enough to take the pressure from the compactor?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-07, 02:12 PM

Why do you think you need drainage under your patio?

What will the patio built of? - Concrete? Concrete Pavers? Clay brick pavers?

It is rare to put drainage pipe under a patio unless to are running a drainage line for point A on one side to point somewhere on the other side. It should not be needed for drainage of you have a good base and subbase.

Your vibratory compactor compacts by vibration, so it really does not add any appreciable weight.

Dick

Old 04-02-07, 12:51 PM
Thanks!

The drainage pipe is to connect a downspout from the house to the channel drain at the lower end of the patio (patio is going to slop down away from the house). The channel drain is needed because at the lower end of the patio, the ground is half foot heigher than patio. We try to make this look neater by directing the water from the downspout underneath the patio. Now I'm not even sure whether this is necessary. The patio is going to be concrete paver.

What's your suggestion?

Old 04-02-07, 03:49 PM

If it is just your typical patio, use the solid pvc pipe to get to daylight or your yard bubbler. I think you can also get a heavier gage pipe if you are really concerned.

I let them put in the corrugated for my run from the downspout out 20' to my bubbler, but that was next to my patio. I would have preferred a strong PVC, but it was a time issue.

Dick

Old 04-06-07, 06:42 AM
Thanks, that helps! We are going to use 4" PVC pipe.

From what I read online, people always talk about back fill the trench around the pipe with gravel first, then the dirt. Is this a must step?

Old 04-10-07, 01:34 PM
i did a portion if what you are asking 2 years ago. a drain from the roof went next to my patio and i wanted the runoff far away. i let the spout run underground and connected 4 inch pvc to it. i had a tight area so it runs about 12 feet away and stops. i got the pvc with holes in it and positioned the holes facing the sky before i buried it - i figure if it ever get plugged at least the holes are facing up so they will get plugged last. i did put gravel around it so the dirt will not get into the pipe. i also wrapped the pipe in landscape fabric to help prevent dirt or stone from getting into it. the pipe ends about a foot underground - i dug an additional 3 feet down and about 3 feet wide and filled withe large stone - sort of lined the big hole w/ landscape fabric to keep the stones from getting compancted with dirt. has worked great so far - after all the fabric and stone i filled with dirt and have not experience any soggy soil and not any settling.

when you slope the patio away from the home make sure the water has a place to go. my concrete paver patio had such a solid base that extended past the patio and then had a lanscape wall that the water had no place to go - in two spots under my landscape wall i dig holes w/ a post hole digger and filled with rocks for drainage - worked great.

Old 02-04-11, 11:18 PM
Drain pipe under patio pavers

I have a downspout that empties in the middle of where my paver patio will go so I have no choice but to run the drain pipe under the pavers. Don't think I can go too deep with the drain pipe as we're running it about 70 feet out to the fornt of the house with a pip-up drain emitter. So I have to consider the slope of the pipe, etc. Does the drain pipe have to be completely below the base material, or can I encase the pipe within the base material?
Thanks!