Installing Diagonal Decking

Old 04-04-07, 12:42 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Diagonal Decking

I am ready to start installing my decking. I am doing diagonal decking and was wondering where i am supposed to start. I said in a previous post that the a ledger runs 13' then jogs out 4' perpendicular too, and then jogs another 90 degrees for 4'. So the deck is basically a 15'x17' with a 4'x4' section out of the corner. I am planning to start at the corner opposite of the corner of the jog out and run that at a 45 degree angle and then build out one way, and then goto the other side and build out (kinda like laying tile). Is this just a way of doing it, or is it the right way to do it? Should i build my stair stringer and stairs before i put the decking on? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-07, 03:00 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Stairs

If your top step will be level with the deck floor, install the steps first. You will get a better fit between the floor boards and the top step this way.

Old 04-06-07, 07:43 AM
B
Ok, got most of the decking on. I'll finish that up today/tonight. I'll then be ready to cut the wild ends and start the railing. I've been reading that you let the wild ends extend between an inch to an inch and a half. Why do you do this? Wont it make it harder to install the Railing posts? My posts are the ones that are already notched out. Im assuming that i just bolt that to my rim joist.

Old 04-06-07, 07:59 AM
W
Deck Railing Posts

The part of the rail post that extends below the floor is fastened to the inside of the rim joist.

Old 04-06-07, 12:08 PM
B
So, im supposed to cut the decking out?

Old 04-07-07, 07:45 AM
W
The posts should have been installed before the decking so the decking gets fitted around the post. If the decking was installed first, then cutting a hole for the post to go through is the only option unless you want to remove some decking and re-install after the post is in place.

The outside face of the rail post needs to line up with the outside face of the rim joist.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 04-07-07 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added second paragraph.
Old 04-07-07, 07:56 AM
R
That depends on the design of the railing. I often install railings with the post half lapped on the outside of the rim joist.

Last edited by Rockpro; 04-07-07 at 07:56 AM. Reason: sp