Need Privacy Fence Advice

Old 04-04-07, 08:08 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Privacy Fence Advice

We need to put up a fence between our house and our neighbor's house for privacy. It seems the most economical thing is to buy pre-made wooden fence panels. Do these warp quickly? Someone told us that companies who put up fencing create each panel from individual pickets, and that is why it costs so much. Would that keep the fence from warping?

Vinyl looks nice, but isn't an option for us because of price. We only need 30 feet, but still.....

Thank you!

*by the way....can anyone give us a link to an article or steps on how to put up a privacy fene? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-07, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The fence panels are made in a factory, and once exposed to the elements, IMO, tend to weather unevenly, and sometimes warp. Not always. This has just been my experience. I build mine from scratch. That way I can dictate where the pickets go and spacing, etc. Be aware, also, the ugly side must go to your yard side, as you can't degrade your neighbor's view. So, with that in mind, you may want to consider an offset design, where one picket is on one side and the next one is on the other side. That way, the fence is equally eye appealing on both sides. If there is any rise and fall in your yard, you will have to compensate for it with the panels, so be aware of that, also. With the custom made one, you can modify it as you go. Post back if we can help as you go along on the project.

Old 04-05-07, 06:34 AM
T
You will likely need a permit. Building Codes dictate the height of fences.

Old 04-05-07, 07:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
....and home owner associations often dictate what type [s] of fencing is allowed.

Old 04-05-07, 07:31 AM
S
i made a fence (195' long) to keep our two dogs in the yard. I used cedar wood for the pickets (pre-made dog-earred style) and green wood for the posts and railings. I let it weathered for a year and then made any repairs to it and then stained it. Still standing!! Any good home improvement store has great books on making a fence with many good styles. Renting a post hole digger was a big help.

Old 04-05-07, 07:56 AM
D
Smile

Alas, the joys of living in the "country"....outside of the city limits. No building codes or homeowners' associations! Also, no one to tell me the "ugly" side has to face my way! We are planning on using the overlapping panels.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone know where there are online instructions?

Old 04-05-07, 05:42 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Instructions

Google "privacy fence construction". Lots of instructions available. Good luck with your project.

Old 04-05-07, 05:50 PM
D
Thanks! I would never have thought to put in those exact words! We haven't used Google, and we were using "installation" instead of "construction".