Tips for a flagstone path?

Old 04-10-07, 01:34 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tips for a flagstone path?

Hi all:
I've lurked here for a while, usually able to find my answers without needing to post. But this one I haven't seen...

I'm tired of walking and dragging lawn tools over the rock we put down between our gate and backyard, and so want to lay a flagstone path from the driveway to the fence to the back grass. Nothing major, just a 3-ft wide path that's about 35 feet long with one curve in it. Just so you have all the info, we'll be using a Colorado red flagstone, about 1 1/2" thick, with a red or gray breeze base. The area has a natural slope to it, so drainage shouldn't be a problem. The path will not have an inordinate amount of traffic, just an access for the lawn mower and other yard tools.

I've been reading up, and different folks suggest different methods. Some say to dig 2 inches, other's i've seen have suggested up to 12! The yard we'll probably buy the stone from said it wasn't necessary to dig at all, but I'd rather not deal with resetting stones every year. I know I need to dig down and place a base of sand or gravel underneath the stone (we'll probably use the red or gray breeze), my question is how far down is necessary? I live in northern Colorado, about 30 minutes north of Denver.

Any advice would be helpful, and I appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-07, 02:48 PM
Wyo, it all depends on what you are going to put around the stones... dirt? breeze? cement? We did a patio with the whole 2" crushed granite under 2" sand business and it worked fine (we are up in the foothills west of Denver).

Old 04-10-07, 02:56 PM
W
Well I guess I didn't give all the info! We'll put the colored breeze in the cracks between the stones. Do you think that 2" of the breeze would suffice to prevent most of the heaving?