Pinning Concrete Pier to Rock Ledge

Old 04-11-07, 08:11 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pinning Concrete Pier to Rock Ledge

I am about to start digging my holes for the concrete piers for my deck. Per the code here, I have to dig 42" deep. I do have alot of rock in this area and do anticipate hitting ledge. The Building Official stated that I have to put a pin into the ledge prior to pouring the concrete pier. How do you go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Stefan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-07, 04:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Depending on where you hit rock. Here we use an air drill with a granite bit. Quite expensive, but it does the trick. Once the hole is drilled, fill it with epoxy and set the pin, rebar, whatever is specified in the hole allowing it to stick up at least 1/3 the way up the column. What type rock will you be hitting?

Old 04-24-07, 02:57 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Drilling through the rock

I'm in the process of drilling 1 of 2 rocks. The first that I am working on seems like granite and I'm using a Hilti bit for concrete/brick/masonry and a large electric drill. I've gone in about 3" so far. How deep of a hole is required? The 2nd rock may be a softer and I'll try that. I have a 2' piece of rebar (that I was going to cut and use for both piers), but if I'm going 1/3 of the depth (42"), then I will need to stick out about 14".

I'm going to try the 2nd rock now and see if that works better. Nothing like using the right tools!!!

Old 04-25-07, 04:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I would sink at least 12" into the ledge, as you are looking for lateral stability when you make your pour. The inspector said you only needed one pin, right?