Rotting Band Board

Old 05-03-07, 05:36 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotting Band Board

Our house and deck were built in 1985. The deck is attached to the house. In one corner there is no flashing between the deck and band board. Rot has claimed a section of this board (about 5'). We have been talking to contractors to have this fixed. Each has a different opinion about the best way to fix the problem. One says we can "scab" new boards onto the rotted band board and install flashing. One says we should put jacks under that corner of the house and remove that entire section of band board. He says scabbing is only a temporary fix and the moisture in the rotted wood will continue to cause problems. I really don't know who to believe at this point. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to create more of a problem then we are solving. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-07, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! #2 was correct. Rotten wood will never turn to good wood, no matter how long it stays there. Not sure of your location, nor exactly what your problem looks like, but removal of this rotted wood is mandatory.

Old 05-05-07, 09:34 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Larry! I suspected that might be the case.