doubled joists?

Old 05-07-07, 06:35 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
doubled joists?

Hi

I have found some great information on this site and now I have a question that I have seen answered before. I am building a 12 x 12 stand alone deck for a hot tub. I was wondering if the doubled 2x10 joists at 16" is stronger than single 2x10 joists at 8". I have some concern of how to attach a doubled joist to the beam. For single joists I have used the simpson hi rafter tie and my building inspector really liked that connection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-07-07, 06:38 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
joists

In my school i have a polytech program and we build sheds and other contraptions on a daily basis. If I was you right now I would stay with the 16'' on center and use a 2" by 10" double joist hanger. Although doing the spacing at 8" would be good for a single joist but doubling them up would not be necessary. In my class a group of us have made a 12' by 20' shed used for a car garage and we used single joists at 16" on center and using blocking between them. This is what I think you should consider, thank you for reading.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: