Need suggestions on 2nd story deck for Jacuzzi

Old 05-14-07, 02:54 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need suggestions on 2nd story deck for Jacuzzi

I want a 2nd story deck for a 4 -5 person jacuzzi. What is sufficient sizes for this job? The deck will be approx 15ft wide and 5ft in depth.. Namely I am looking to find out what size joists I should use, how far spaced and how many footings i need and how big of posts to use? and is frost line depth deep enough to support this weight?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-07, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Will a 5' depth give you enough room to maneuver around a hot tub? You cannot overkill the support needed for a second story deck holding a hot tub. Of primary importance is making sure the ledger board is held to the house with the proper size carriage bolts. Check with your local permitting body to see what they will require, as frost line depths vary from city to city. Massachusetts can require up to 4', while in Florida you can build using dek blocks.

Old 05-14-07, 06:03 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
not to discount anybody here and their abilities but I would seriously consider engaging an engineer for this job. You are talking about a deck to support around a ton of weight. That is in addition to the weight of the deck itself.

A miscalculation could be a serious mistake.

Your homeowners insurance as well as the local building department may actually require an engineer for this job. Check with each of them before you get too far into the project.