Cement Stained Pavers - Recovery Suggestions?

Old 05-15-07, 06:47 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cement Stained Pavers - Recovery Suggestions?

OK, I have deserved criticism because I made an ill informed (no, "ignorant” is more accurate) installation decision. I mixed cement with my sand to fill in the gaps of my interlocking concrete paver installation. I did not take my compressor and blow off all of the cement powder and the first washing (apparently) activated the cement to adhere to the colored concrete pavers – leaving a “nice” whitish film that makes the colors non-visible.

Scratching, sanding and other mechanical abrasion has not removed the film…but when I wet it the film “disappears.”

Questions about my next steps...
1. Has anyone tried, or seen, using an acrylic concrete sealer “to wet” and seal the surface that would permit the underlying colors to be visible? ( I plan to try this on a couple of the extra pavers I have.)
2. If 1. is not an option, does anyone know if it is feasible to stain the pavers (red, red/black, black grey? (i.e. will the attempt to restore the original color “take” on the cement finish?)
3. If I can get the color on the pavers, can I seal it with an acrylic sealer…and
4. Does anyone know if the sealers/stains age differently in the sun versus under a gazebo?
I know I have a lot of work to account for my mistake, but I want to focus on work that is effective (as opposed to my previous work J
Thanks,
etcm

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-07, 08:26 AM
T
You can use a propreitary acid cleaner to remove the haze. A product like Sure Klean 600, USED CORRECTLY will do the job and not cause further damage.

Old 05-22-07, 08:33 AM
E
Red face Follow Up to Problem

Thanks for pointing a direction. I scrubbed with a non-proprietary cleaner (muriatic acid based) and it removed about 75% of the white haze/film. This evening I’ll try to sand/scrub the remaining haze to see if it is permanent or a calcium compound by-product from the acid wash. Either way, my wife is thrilled, and I am off the hook for “ruining” her new patio.
More updates as work progresses.
Of course, now, I think that I should have taken and posted photos…
etcm