Raised Paver Patio Question:

Old 05-15-07, 08:35 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Alright here is my issue. After obtaining estimates for a paver patio, I nearly choked to death when I saw them. I have decided to try it out myself, and in general I think I have got it down pretty well, but there is one aspect of my project that is kicking my tail:

The patio is going to be 30' X 13' and square. The problem is, starting from the back of my hosue I have 16"'s of drop over the 13 feet so I need to build a front and two side retaining walls. The front wall is long and straight I think I have that down, but I started to try and work out how I was going to build the side walls back into the slope and it is proving more difficult to work out than I anticipated.

Does anyone know how to properly prep the area to build a wall back into the slope that doesn;t involve didgging down to an 18" depth and building the wall totally buried just becuase it is easier than trying to figure out how to get it done the right way?

Any help is appreciated thank you!

(I guess I should also mention this is my first attemtp at a paver patio)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-07, 09:34 PM

What do plan to build your front or 30' wall out of?

Old 05-15-07, 09:56 PM
S
I am using 12"X8"X4" retaining wall blocks. (decorative concrete I believe)

Old 05-16-07, 07:16 AM

Retaining wall block make it easier.

Just step the bottom layer of the retaining wall course where necessary. There is no rule that the first couse is level, just that the units are level when stepping. You may have to adjust the corner in accordance with manufacturers details. Most major brands have detail on line or through the distrubutor.

Dick

Old 05-16-07, 08:53 PM
S
That makes sense. but where I am having a problem is where to start. Do I start from against the house and work my way out? Or do I begin at a corner point of the front wall and build back toward the house? Does it matter? Both ways end with me scratching my head slightly about making sure it is level... I guess I just need to spend the majority of my time working the base and then let the stones fall as they will.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Old 05-16-07, 09:31 PM

Make sure the long wall base elevation is correct and then make the sloping sides fit the grade and steps required. Pay attention to the corners and lap as suggested by the manufacturer. - What brand of stones are you using?

Dick

Old 05-16-07, 09:42 PM
S
Manufacturer? I dunno. I am purchasing them from Lowe's..... they are called "Old Manor Wall"

So basically I set the front wall and build back toward the house once I have achieved the proper base level.

Outstanding. Thank you!