Deck Stain

Old 05-19-07, 09:00 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Stain

I was wondering if anyone knows of a stain that will make my 2year old treated deck look like new again, as its getting a little bleached from the sun. I tried Thompsons water sealer last year, and it did seal out the moisture but it still looked dried out! I don't want it a color as I like how it looked new and how it looks now when its wet. Does anyone know the right product for me?
Thanks

Old 05-20-07, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
You need to clean the deck first. I usually use a bleach water solution [30%-50% bleach] rinse well!!! You can also use a wood brightner. Once dry you can apply a coating. Thompsons doesn't do a lot for changing the wood color any. I like the look CWF gives [a lot like wet wood] but like thompson's it doesn't weather well.

Old 05-20-07, 05:16 AM
B
the best I have found in MN is X-100 Natural Seal. Use the natural seal not the deck stain. holds up the best for our enviromental conditions. if you do not clean it like marksr suggested then it may very well turn black when you stain it.

also, thompson's is mainly solvents, they do not stay around when it dries, thus it is one of the worest products for decks.

Old 05-20-07, 07:23 AM
R
will the x-100 give it the look I'm after?

Old 05-28-07, 09:23 AM
H
I've been a painter for about 10 years.

X-100 is what I recommend to all my coustomers.
I order it through my local Sherwin Williams store.

In fact I just put it on a deck yesterday.

Sometimes I use Deckscapes from SW
but most allways I use X-100

Rent a pressure washer, add the x100 pre wash liquid that you use during the pressure washing. I just pressure washed the old sealer the homeowner put on there 2 years ago.

If you apply it like the directions say, you can get about 3 years in Wisconsin weather out of your finish. Winters here are harsh.

Make sure you dont leave puddles of X100 on the floorboards it will turn to jelly after it dries. Smooth it out while you apply the finish nice and even.

The have any color you wish. But I only use the brown and gold colors becose not very many people want a green, red, or grey floorboards.

It will leave you the finish you want.
Hatter

Old 05-28-07, 09:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 87 Posts
Likely that your deck looks darker when wet, thus a semi-transparent stain might be what you want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: