16' x 20' Foot decks how many beams

Old 06-04-07, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 16 x 20 deck connect to a ledger (20' long) and the deck with extend 16' feet out. I have used multiple deck design programs and they give me different designs for beams. One gives me a design for 1 beam with 4 - 6" x 6" posts another gives 2 beams with 3 4" x 4" posts for each beam. I will be using 2 x 10 joists. I would love to use only one beam and use the space under the deck for a patio. Any suggestions or ideas, please?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-07, 03:44 PM
Go to your local city hall, they will give you a print out of the codes. How deap to dig, how big your joist can be, how many post you need. My deck is also 16 feet long, i'm using 2x6 every 16" altaugh code is every 24". I have 6 post the first row of three is 8 feet from the house, and the other row of three is 7 feet from the first. Unless your gona put a hot tub on your deck, save the money and use 2x6 with hangers.

Old 06-05-07, 03:51 PM

Also, consider whether you want to go with a ledger support or a free-standing deck.

Using a ledger can create many unknown problems with attachment (through bolting and not lag screws), siding, flashing, sealing and potential water problems. You never know what you will into when you try hang one structure on another and make it weatherproof when it starts moving.

Dick