Angled deck stair stringer

Old 06-07-07, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angled deck stair stringer

Just installed a 7 foot diameter round hot tub sitting at a corner of my deck. It is not on the deck. It is on the ground sitting at the corner of the deck. A line running along the side of the deck would bisect the tub. My plan is to extend the deck about 4 feet so we can step right off the deck into the tub. The extension will be four feet out and about 8 feet wide (the width of the deck less half the diameter of the tub). So the deck will come out and partially wrap around the tub. Due to space limitations, I can't extend the deck to match the entire 7 foot diameter of the tub. I plan on having steps (five risers, four steps) down to the ground from the deck extension and as wide as the extention. I'd like to build the steps so they run up against the tub on that end (i.e. continue wrapping around the tub like the deck). Each step down would be a little longer than the one above as it wraps.

I think I can build the stringers for the straight portion of the stairway, but how do I frame the stair framing (stringers, etc.) where it starts to wrap around the tub? I had planned on using 5/4 deck boards for the treads and 1x boards to close in the risers. I think it would look really nice, but seems really complicated. I have checked my local building codes and think this would be allowable. Building permit is currently pending with the city.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 06:03 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Steps

Post an overhead view diagram of what you want to build.

Old 06-11-07, 08:37 AM
Deck stair stringers

I have a document with a rough diagram, but it doesn't look like I have rights to post attachments at this time. At least I haven't figured it out yet. I am trying to get the permission and will post it at that time.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 06-11-07, 05:21 PM
Diagram

Post it on Photobucket and give us the web address.

Old 06-12-07, 07:33 AM
Angled stair stringer

Okay, I think I figured it out. Here is the URL.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa38/jasalisbury/DeckDiagram.jpg

The deck extension goes out from the existing deck 4' and the diameter of the hot tub is 7'. The drawing is not precise as to measurements, but I think you get the idea.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 06-13-07, 05:59 PM
Stringer

Go to the diagram below. Notice the two blue lines. The one on the left is a normal stringer. The one on the right is the one you need. Tell me the length of both stringers and the tread depth of the one on the left. I will calculate the tread depth of the angled stringer. Post back with this info.

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb137/KStout7121/DIY%20Projects/?action=view&current=stringer.jpg

Old 06-14-07, 05:42 AM
Stair Stringer

Thanks. I will post back once I get to that point. It may be a while. I'm just getting starte and am doing it on my own.