Deck maintenance voodoo

Old 07-06-07, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck maintenance voodoo

I have a decent sized deck which had some paint peeling off, so I decided to strip and re-paint the deck. So I rented a pressure washer, got some cleaning solution and thought I would be done in a 5-6 hours. Boy was I wrong: I had to extend the rental for whole day and some more for the stripping and the whole ordeal left me completely exhausted.

All the time I kept asking myself, am I doing something wrong? I dont know ...
Now I am going to get a solid color stain this weekend and paint it.

After reading some posts on this topic, I see that decks will need such maintenance every 2-3 years. But I cannot think I will be able to do this all over again. So what do experience folks on this forum do for deck maintenance? Looking for some guidance here....

P.S. This was the first time I have attempted such a project ....

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-07, 05:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Since you have removed the paint and will be using stain from now on, it should cut down on the labor needed in the future. Solid stains don't typically need to be removed prior to recoating. When applied correctly they seldom ever peel. When the stain needs recoating you should only have to clean the deck and recoat.

Old 07-08-07, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The ordeal you described is why composite decking materials are popular. They do not require maintenance but also have downfalls such as the inability to remove scratches and grease stains.