New low deck, ventilation questions

Old 07-12-07, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New low deck, ventilation questions

Hi everyone,

So we have a new ground-level deck. You can see pics of it with new French doors we had installed at this link:

http://www.pbase.com/robcarson/door_and_deck_project

The deck was built with pressure treated pine, 2x10 joists (and 2x8 joists for the lower, narrower section) and Trex decking.

None of the framing actually touches the ground, but it is low to match the level of the floor inside the house. So my question is, do you think there's adequate ventilation under this deck? Or should I dig out more and/or install ventilation holes within the framing and/or decking?

For what it's worth, we live in a pretty dry climate.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-07, 01:35 PM
I'm thinking about installing vents in the deck boards close to the house, one vent in between each joist. Here's an example:

http://www.kirsch-korff.com/Pages/specialties_design_building_challenges.htm#deck_ventilation

But maybe that's not necessary, given that the deck's not directly on the ground?

Old 08-03-07, 11:28 AM
Any thoughts? Anyone?

Old 08-03-07, 02:02 PM
Please don't put those vents in the deck boards. If you are concerned, pop some small circular vents in your fascia board.

Old 08-03-07, 09:46 PM
I couldn't the photos up, but I tend to agree with dooer -- go with some small facia vents.

Your deck boards are (or SHOULD BE) gapped. That is the exhaust for your venting You need intake air -- hence, the vents in the facia boards

Old 08-03-07, 10:37 PM
Wink

Ill go for just some 3" round vents here and there also. Just to help. I take it that is a window well by the door. I do hope you did a grade on the ground away from the home first. Then the deck