Installed Deck - uneven stair risers

Old 07-17-07, 02:39 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
Installed Deck - uneven stair risers

General question for the group:

A friend of mine had a deck installed by a construction company - the company convinced the homeowner that a permit was not required. But the permit/no permit discussion isn't really the crux of the issue.

The 2-level deck was installed with 6 steps going from the bottom level to the top level. The first 5 steps are standard rise/run, but the last step has a run of about 3" more, and only about a 2.5" rise. Going up the stairs hasn't been a problem, but we've almost lost 2 family members going down the stairs and missing the steps.

Obviously this is poor workmanship - the question I have is whether this would usually pass inspection. Or is there a building code that states that all steps need to be equal to prevent a tripping hazard.

They are considering having the company back to redo the staircase, but I'd like to be able to tell them that it's not only poor workmanship but it's against code such and such.

Thanks for any information you might have.

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-07, 06:21 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
There are specific codes regarding rise and run of stairs on decks. They also can not differ from adjoining steps by specified amounts. My gut tells me that a permit was needed for this job and the company that installed was pulling a fast one on you. Contact your local permit office to find out if one was needed and pin it on the installation company. I would rather see them out of business than loose one of your family members do to shoddy workmanship.

In short, this would not pass inspection. period

Old 07-17-07, 09:15 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your friend has 6 steps. The average step is 7". Therefore the deck is roughly 42" above grade. Yes, a permit IS required since 42" is more than 30". (The deck also requires railing, since it's more than 30" above grade. Did the contractor ignore that as well??)

The rise and run of a set of steps HAS to be consistant. (Tread width the same, plus or minus 3/8" from the widest to the narrowest, and rise the same, plus or minus 3/8" from the shortest to the tallest.)

Better to hang the contractor for messing up than to plan a funeral!!

Old 07-20-07, 10:21 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
Thanks for the responses. It's not my house, not my contractor - so I can only provide my friend advice. Code or not, I wouldn't want that as a part of my house.

Regardless, you confirmed what I had assumed - it's against code, so it will be pretty easy to prove they screwed up.

Thanks again for the advice. I appreciate it!

-Mike