Rehab old deck

Old 07-28-07, 10:32 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rehab old deck

I have a 15 year old deck that is in moderate condition. The last time it was stained was 4-5 years ago before I moved into the house. I would like to get another 3-4 years out of the deck.

It has a weathered appearance and has some splitting/splintering. I would like to stain it to help condition the wood and increase its appearance.

What is the best/recommended procedure for doing this? There are a ton of deck cleaning/prep/staining products out there.

1. Pressure-wash first (what pressure setting??)
2. Deck cleaner.. is this needed or can I go straight to stain?
3. Stain - any recommendations??

Thanks for the assistance..

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-07, 03:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I usually use a cleaner along with the pressure washer. I like to wet the deck, spray on the cleaner with a pump up sprayer, let set [not dry] and then rinse it with the PW. I usually use a bleach water solution - NEVER any stronger than 50/50!!! Straight bleach will destroy the wood fibers. The commercial deck cleaners are more user friendly. Avoid excessive pressure as it is easy to chew up the wood.

Since your deck is old and not in great shape I wouldn't bother with a wood brightner. I also wouldn't use a semi-transparent stain on a worn deck. Use a solid stain, it will better hide the defects.