Is Deck Safe?

Old 08-06-07, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is Deck Safe?

I just recently had someone expand our deck by increasing the size of the bottom deck and making some stair from top to bottom.

Our deck is REALLY high so in order for it to work they have have a set of stairs going to a platform attached to the house and the have another set come back towards the deck so there are to sets of stair with about 10 steps.

My concern is that when I walk on the steps they sink in a little which makes me nervous.

I'm not a light guy (250lbs) but I've never been stairs that seemed to give a little when you walk on them.

The builder only used 2 stringers and said if it would have been a little higher up he would have put 3 but 2 is fine. The deck boards are about 1 inch think.

To me this doesn't seem right but he swears it's up to code.

Everything else has turned out great so we don't know why he would skimp on the last item and do good on the rest.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-07, 02:34 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Stringers

I think you need at least 3 stringers on each flight of stairs and all of the stringers should be supported at their mid-point with vertical supports. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-06-07, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It is not code. 3 stringers are required using 5/4 treads if they exceed (I believe) 32" in width. Just for information, go to www.chandlerscarpentry.com and click on Projects Three and scroll down. Is that similar to what you have?

Old 08-06-07, 07:10 PM
I'll take some pictures and post them in the morning.

I did go out and measure the steps and they are 36" in width with only 2 stringers.

Is it possible for them to add another stringer after the stairs are already done.

I've not yet paid them the other half so I'm trying to figure this out before the bill comes.

Old 08-07-07, 11:37 AM
Here are the pictures.

Copy these links to see them.

1. This is a shot of the stairs as they come down from the top deck to the bottom deck. The top deck was there when we bought the house with a little baby deck below with no stairs. So they replaced the little deck with the bigger one and built some stairs going down.

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/4782/image00007qv6.jpg

2. This is a straight on shot of one of the stairs.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/737/image00008ni7.jpg

Old 08-07-07, 02:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, the stringer can be installed post construction. It won't be easy, but it will be necessary for proper support. 5/4 lumber needs support every 16". Have them do it right.

Old 08-09-07, 05:31 PM
We had them come back out and they put 2X4 under every step for added support.

Now they don't move at all and we feel much better about it.