Porch deck assistance sought

Old 09-06-07, 02:00 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Porch deck assistance sought

I've got a small cement porch that has "putting-green" carpet over it that I'd like to deck over. I posted a picture here to help describe the situation:

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1337325505&size=o

As you can see the cement on the walkway part is raised a bit on the left. So I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on how to make it look nice. I was just planning on using some 2X6's and concrete screws on top but that vertical part on the face of the step that is uneven has given me pause. If I were to simply get a piece as tall as the tallest part and then taper it to the left? Is there a trick to getting the right slope/taper? I welcome your specific thoughts and any general suggestions as well.

Thanks for your time.

-Cameron

Old 09-07-07, 04:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Cameron: Welcome to the forums! You have an ideal situation, as it appears the initial step from the threshold is quite high. I would consider attaching ledgers to the wall under the door and on both sides, tying one across the front, making a frame. Attach these ledgers to the brick using tapcon screws. From this point, you can install joist hangers and joists at 16"oc, and deck it with your choice of decking (5/4 x 6 or even an exotic wood). I am assuming you want to bring the deck out to the outer edge of the non-green concrete as well. Correct if wrong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: