Porch flooring pics:seal?stain?poly?suggestions?

Old 09-26-07, 09:50 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch flooring pics:seal?stain?poly?suggestions?

I own an old country farm house built in the 1800's that we restored. Three or so years ago we put down a new 1x4 tounge and groove douglas fur floor on our wrap around porch. Since then I have learned that rain is easy on a porch, its sun that there is no way to combat.

Every year I go out there and seal it with thompsons water sealer. I am about to do it again this year but am wondering if maybe there is a better solution. I am not well educated in anytype of apply anything liquid so was hoping maybe I can get a suggestion.

The problem is that the outside edge of the porch that the sun hits is significantly faded while the inner edge still looks great. I am worried that in a few years, the outer edge will be very cracked, splintered and warped, strictly from the sun.

When I seal the porch, it just applys a water tight seal and dosn't seam to treat, rejuvinate or even leave any tone or color in the wood. It also says do not apply more then one coat.

What would be a good way to keep this porch surviving for a long long time.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...0/100_0137.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...0/100_0136.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...0/100_0135.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...0/100_0133.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-07, 09:21 PM
L
Well first off strider380, doug fir isn't a wood that will hold up very well in an exterior application.

Second, if you have searched back through this forum very far, you'll know that there are MUCH better sealers than the brand that you have been using. You'll pay more for something like Sikkens, Super Deck, Cabot's, etc., but they work better and last longer.

What you need to look at is the UV inhibitors in the sealer that you choose to use.

Old 09-27-07, 07:40 AM
S
So continue to use sealer as opposed to other types of treatment?

Thankyou for the recomendations. I will certainly look into those brands.

P.S. What would have been a better choice than doug fir?

Old 09-27-07, 02:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Pressure treated wood or a naturally decay resistant wood like cedar or redwood would have been better. Use a quality deck stain like Cabot, Sikkens or Benjamin Moore.

Old 09-27-07, 03:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Cleaning the wood with a bleach/water solution or a deck brightner should get rid of the gray and bring the new wood color back - rinse well!

Primer and paint will protect the wood the best, then solid stains, followed by semi-transparent. Clear sealers are at the bottom of the line.

Old 09-27-07, 03:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I think paint on wood outside isn't worth the trouble - I'd go with a solid body stain for maximum protection for the effort.

Old 09-28-07, 06:25 AM
S
You have been a great help. We probably should have went with cedar. We always pressure wash the porch every year. It cleans alot more then you would ever believe was there. I am always impressed by that machine. Anyways, it sounds like stain is probably a better alternative for us. Thank you!