Sealant between stone pavers and wood siding

Old 10-11-07, 01:15 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My parents had a stone paver patio installed last year. It was installed by the contractor right up to the side of the house, which is wood siding. My father had sealed the seam between the pavers and house with some sort of caulking but it is starting to wear away. Is there a specific product that would be good for this type of application, dealing with bonding to the pavers and the possible natural flexing of the pavers and the wood siding? Will any flexible caulking do? My mom just doesn't want water getting between the pavers and the wood siding, creating a potential rotting problem.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 10-11-07, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Any way you cut it, they have a long term problem. Wood should not be that close to the ground level. Moisture will come up from below.

They did not have a qualified contractor or they had him set the patio grade too high to comply with any code or common sense.

The wood will get saturated and not caulk will adhere to damp wood for any length of time.

Dick

Old 10-11-07, 03:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Use G.E. silicone when both the wood and mortar are dry. I agree this will need to be recaulked periodically.

Old 10-11-07, 08:18 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Dick (Concretemasonary) is right. The pavers are too close to the siding if you think the joint needs to be caulked.

No caulking in the world is going to keep the moisture from destroying the siding, no matter how often you apply it. The wood simply needs to be at least 6" above the patio. (And don't even think it! Cutting the siding IS NOT AN OPTION!!)

Old 10-12-07, 05:11 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Being a Civil Engineer, I know the pavers are too close to the siding, but it was a matter of timing. My parents had an addition built, and a year later had the patio installed. My mom wanted a step up in the patio, therefore creating the condition of having the pavers against the siding. It was too late at that point to raise the foundation edge to provide the 6" clearance from the pavers to the siding. I told her she would probably need to caulk it annually and she is fine with that. Hopefully that will at least delay any wood rot for awhile. I was thinking of putting some flashing between the siding and pavers, but I am not sure if I could get a good seal on the flashing/siding interface. Plus, it is flat wood siding with a 1x2 wood strip nailed on top about every 16 inches, so the flashing wood have a lot of bends and/or seams to get it around everything.

Thanks,
Neil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: