how soon after i stain can i roll on the sealer?

Old 10-29-07, 02:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question how soon after i stain can i roll on the sealer?

hey friends...im in south jersey...yesterday (sunday) i rolled on the deck stain (Oympic Semi-Transparent...color is cedar naturaltone)....i bought the same color for the sealant...Is is ok to wait until this coming weekend to put on the sealant?...so like 1 week later after applying the stain?...since i dont have enough daylight hours after work so i can only do it on the weekend?

The forecast is calling for NO RAIN all week!

thanks bam

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-07, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Olympic exterior stains are stand alone products, they do not require any addition coats like poly, so saying that, you are good.

From Olympics website:

"Q: Is it necessary to cover exterior stain with polyurethane or something like that?

A: All Olympic and Ultimate exterior stains are "stand alone" finishes and do not require another topcoat for additional protection."

http://www.olympic.com/stain_questions_tips.htm

Old 10-29-07, 04:29 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
What you put on already is a sealer. You're done. For this year.

Old 10-29-07, 04:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Be sure to read the label on your stain. I'm not familiar with the specifics of olympic stains but some deck stains require recoating with in a specified time period or you have to wait until the stain is weathered or stripped before you can apply another coat.

What is the difference between your color coat and your sealer?

Old 10-30-07, 04:38 AM
B
Question this is what i bought...

the stain i put on was olympic maximum deck, fence & siding stain (5 yr protection for decks)...it's a semi transparent color (cedar natualtone) w/penetrating oil formula

after the stain i was going to put over it, olympic maximum waterproofing sealant...(3 yr protection for decks)...it's a toner (cedar natualtone) w/penetrating oil formula

the guy at lowes said i should do both...is this unnecessary?.....i thought it was the sealant that would protect the stain i rolled on and then i have the waterproofing on top where the water would bead off after it rains....do i have this all wrong?

thanks
bam

Old 10-30-07, 05:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Your deck stain is also a sealer. I used Olympic on mine as well. Don't expect it to actually last the five years they claim, though.

Old 10-30-07, 06:10 AM
B
Question this is great!...2 more questions?

hey mitch

thanks for your input...will rain water not bead off the deck then since im not putting down the sealant?...is it even necessary ro have water bead off, as long as the stain is protecting the wood within?

last question for you....before i rolled my olympic stain over 75% of my deck (which is the part that i will now NOT be adding the sealant on top)...the previous weekend i had rolled on behr stain/sealant (all-in-one) on a different part of the deck (i put on the stuff i had from the same 4.4 gallon container i had done last year).....then it rained all week, and it was after this week of rain that i saw it was already greying and fading..so at this point is when i decided to go to another stain and bought the olympic stain for the part is just did...now my question is if i want to put the same olympic stain the first part of the deck i did...should i pressure wash again...or can i just try to roll the olympic stain over it...they were very very similar in colors

thanks
bam

Old 10-30-07, 08:10 PM
L
Olympic and Behr -- at least you are about one step above Thompson's.

Get out of the blue and orange box and go to a PAINT store -- Sherman Williams, Kelly-Moore, etc.