ranch attic access from out-side

Old 11-12-07, 06:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ranch attic access from out-side

I have a small ranch (25 x 40) and would like to access attic for New England winter storage space from outside for things like canoe, kayak. Does anyone ever do this?

Is there a smart window or door that would not look silly if my ext is stained cedar shingle? Didn't find anything going back 4 yrs in a search of "ranch attic". I'd even like to run a high beam so to hang a smaller barn pulley.

Seems like if I set a vert 4x4 at ctr then I could set 2 triangular windows that could swing on hinges near the center beam. Maybe someone makes these? Is this silly? I only have closet attic access now. Just had the roof done.... so I don't want to put in a dormer. This seems like a reasonable place to post...

Old 11-12-07, 08:14 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What you propose sounds good to me. But, as a little old lady, who would never hesitate to climb a two or three story house to clean out the gutters, I am now too old, little, and weak kneed to attempt such a project. If you are young, strong, and steady-kneed, I'd say go for it, especially if you plan to live there for several years. Barn pulleys are readily available.

Old 11-13-07, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just have the structural integrity checked before you install the yardarm, and install flooring in the attic. Sometimes the trusses may not be able to handle an excess weight. If you had a little space, a ground level storage building may cost less in the long run and give less problems, and more accessibility than the attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: