Deck Supports - Treated 6X6 set in concrete?

Old 12-20-07, 05:02 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

New construction.

We're having a new home built and have a question on deck support posts. The house is a ranch style cut into a sloping lot with a walkout basement. We will have a 44' long by 8' wide walk out deck along the rear of the main level which will be over a lower concrete patio of the same size.

The upper deck is 8' wide and the lower patio is 8' wide. The deck cannot be wider than the patio. He plans on setting the posts 3" in from the edge of the patio.

Builder has poured pier footings at the locations of the 6X6 Treated support posts. He plans to plumb the posts on the piers and then form up the lower patio footprint and pour the patio, setting the support beams into the patio then proceed with the deck build.

I am concerned the posts will twist and in time (rear of house faces due west) will crack the patio as well as create rot issue on these posts.

Here is my question..........
Is this a good practice?
What is the best method for placing deck posts over a patio like this? Should they be in the cement like this or is there a bracket or retainer of sorts of Stainless or galvanized?

Thanks.FF

Old 12-20-07, 06:14 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Normally, we would set the posts in Simpson CBSQ66's or equivilent.

Mark

Old 12-20-07, 06:16 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
FairwayFatty,

The posts should NOT be set in concrete -- they should be set in post or column bases that are set in the concrete. Maybe this is what your builder has in mind -- I don't know. But those bases should have been set in the wet concrete of the footings when they were poured.

I use post or column bases that hole the wood an inch above the slab -- Simpson PBS or CBS bases.

Talk with you builder and find out what his plan is.

Old 12-20-07, 06:57 PM

As Lefty says, do not set the posts in the concrete. Use a bracket that is embedded in the concrete.

I assume you are not in the Tidewater area since you have a slope.

If you are in an area with frost, you may have to have bottom of the post supports below the frost level. In that case, the concrete post supports (probably Sonotubes) should not be a part of the patio.

It is always best to separate a slab from a structural support to eliminate cracks in the patio due to loads and differential settlement.

The building inspector should have some criteria for your area. After all, the inspector is really working for you in an effort to have everything done properly.

Old 12-20-07, 07:00 PM
F
I'll check on the Simpson product.
The builders plan is as described. I did not feel comfortable with it and that why I question it. I described post anchors and he said he didnt like them because something could hit them and knock the post out.

Also he has poured these footing "piers" abot 14" diameter and I think he does not have a way to accurately position the anchor bolts on the true position center of where the posts need to be.

He has already poured these footings and there are no j bolts protruding from them. FF

Old 12-20-07, 07:36 PM
F
Is there one of these Simpson Products that can anchored into the slab once it is poured? As mentioned the pier footings are already poured and he has no hardware protruding from them.

Maybe he can set J bolt in the slab when he pours. I would think he could position them by pulling strings off the form perpendicular from the wall out and parallel to the wall length to get his position......... I have not met the inspector and I don't think he contests much the builder does.

I will print info on these Simpson Post Anchors.... can they be bought at local building supplies or are they special order?

Thanks. Fats

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: