Cutting tempered wood.

Old 02-06-08, 09:04 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting tempered wood.

Hello.

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm in the middle of building a small deck in my backyard.

I've set my piers and now I've come to the point where I need to start cutting the wood and the decking.

I'm new to carpentry. I will be cutting pressure treated tempered 4x4's for my posts and beams.

The question I have is can I effectively cut a 4x4 with a circular saw which has a 7 1/2 inch blade?

I have heard that you have to cut one half of the work and then turn the 4x4 over and cut the other half.

After reading the instructions of the saw I'm concerned with having the blade get stuck in a Kerf causing the saw to kickback. Obviously the saw blade will not penetrate the 4x4 on the first cut so the blade will still be in the wood.

Is this something I should be concerned about? What advice do you have regarding this kind of cut?

I also have a reciprocating saw I can use.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 10:09 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you place the 4X4's on a solid, flat surface, they will not bind the saw blade when you cut. The problem comes if the wood is only supported at the ends. As the wood weakens when cutting, it sags, pinching the saw blade.

Old 02-07-08, 09:28 AM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Cutting 4x4's

Use the circular saw. Mark the cut line all the way around the 4x4. Support the 4x4 and secure with clamps so it does not move around. Use a speed square as a saw guide to insure a square cut and avoid binding the blade. Go slow and do not "crowd" the saw. After the first pass with the saw, rotate the 4x4 and repeat the process. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 02-07-08 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added statement.
Old 02-07-08, 10:20 AM
T
Smile

Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Use the circular saw. Mark the cut line all the way around the 4x4. Support the 4x4 and secure with clamps so it does not move around. Use a speed square as a saw guide to insure a square cut and avoid binding the blade. Go slow and do not "crowd" the saw. After the first pass with the saw, rotate the 4x4 and repeat the process. Good luck with your project.
By not 'Crowding' the saw, do you mean not to force the saw?

Thank you...

Old 02-07-08, 10:23 AM
T
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
If you place the 4X4's on a solid, flat surface, they will not bind the saw blade when you cut. The problem comes if the wood is only supported at the ends. As the wood weakens when cutting, it sags, pinching the saw blade.
So should I place the 4x4 on the ground and secure it down and do the cut? My carport were I do the cutting is really flat.

Or should I do the cutting of the 4x4s on a saw horse?

Thank you!

Old 02-07-08, 05:17 PM
W
this is wrong, make sure your offall is exactly what its called. off fall let it fall away and dont stand behind your saw you scare me dude!!

Old 02-07-08, 05:22 PM
W
do not pree cut your posts man, let them be too tall "fly'em long" after you have your deck surface done. pull a hieght so they will all be the same in teh end

Old 02-07-08, 07:20 PM
T
Originally Posted by woodtwo5 View Post
do not pree cut your posts man, let them be too tall "fly'em long" after you have your deck surface done. pull a hieght so they will all be the same in teh end
I'm going to do that but my deck is only going to be 16 inches or so off the ground and my 4x4's are 10 feet long...