HELP..I just put wood stain on my deck.....AND RAINED! Now what?

Old 03-22-08, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP..I just put wood stain on my deck.....AND RAINED! Now what?

Hi all.

There was no rain in the forecast today so I decided to apply wood stain to the deck I just built.

Right when I finished applying the stain a rain cloud came out of nowhere and it started to rain. I live in Florida so rain comes out of nowhere and then it gets sunny again.

I applied the stain (Behr brand) to pressure treated wood if that makes a difference.

What's going to happen and what do I need to do when it stops raining?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-08, 09:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi tj,

That happened to me once, too! Nothing to do but wait until it's dry for 24 hours and see if it left the finish spotted. If it did, you'll need to sand some, and possibly re-coat.

Old 03-22-08, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
A lot depends on the type of stain. Some can be recoated most anytime with no special prep while others need to be recoated within a specific time frame or you need to either remove the stain or wait for it to weather away.

I don't use behr products so you'll have to read the label.

Old 03-22-08, 02:01 PM
(Hi Mark)

Mine was a semi transparent stain by Olympic. The rain left whitened dots the size of dimes all over it. I tested a section to see if recoating would work and you could still see the "dots".
I REALLY hate that deck!

Old 03-22-08, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by connie View Post
Hi tj,

That happened to me once, too! Nothing to do but wait until it's dry for 24 hours and see if it left the finish spotted. If it did, you'll need to sand some, and possibly re-coat.
Yeah it hasn't stopped raining all day except for about a half hour break in it when I ran out there and removed all the standing water on the deck and then covered it up with a tarp.

If the stain does bubble in places and sanding is needed, do I just sand away the parts that have bubbles and then re-apply the stain in those parts? Or do I have to sand away all the stain on the entire deck and re-apply the stain?

Old 03-22-08, 02:25 PM
I don't think there's a definitive answer to that. I'd just let it dry, pick a kind of inconspicuous area and do a test. First try it with no sanding, and if it looks awful, move over and do another section after sanding. (Do just a small "hide it under the flower pot" area.

Old 03-23-08, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Is this an oil base stain? latex? hybrid? Semi-transparent or solid stain?

What does the label say about recoating?