Deck Design Help

Old 04-17-08, 09:25 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Design Help

We are getting ready to add a 35'x16' or 18' deck to our house. I have installed plenty of regular decks over the years working for my uncle. The trick to this one is I want to put a hot tub on it, and it will be approximatly 14' off the ground. Can anyone give me some ideas on the design? Also I would like to add some sort of pergola.

What I was thinking was a2x8 or 2x10 joist on triple 2x12 beams supported by 6x6 posts 4'-6' a part. Do you think that 2 beams would be enough. Also and ideas on bracing for the posts.

Thanks

Joshua

Old 04-17-08, 11:11 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
jhaney,

Welcome to DoItYourself.com and the Deck forum.

Your plan sounds good. Check with your local bldg. dept. They probably have handouts that will tell you what size footings they want you to use, what size flashing along the ledger, and how they want the cross bracing attached.

If I were doing the deck, the footings would have a stand-off post base or column base embedded in a concrete riser on top of the footing, so that the base is about 6" above grade.

Simpson makes all of the hangers and beam caps for making all of the joint connections. (Post to beam, joist to ledger, etc.)

Two beams, 7' to 8' apart and a 2' cantilever of the joists. Post spacing at 6' is more than plenty to support the deck, the spa and a pergola.

Old 04-17-08, 02:04 PM
J
Thanks Lefty,

I figured it would be strong enough just double checking myself. Do you think I can get away with 2x8 joists? this will be a 5-6 person spa. Also the footings will 8"sono tubes 42" deep.

Thanks

Old 04-17-08, 02:25 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you're using 6X6 posts, you'll need to use 12" sonotubes for the footings. You don't want the post corners hanging off of the edges of the footings, and you'll need at least 2" of concrete at the edges of the post bases to keep them in place.

Old 04-18-08, 06:51 AM
J
Thanks for the info, I also think that I am going to use the 2x10 joists.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: