Patio Door

Old 04-25-08, 02:22 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Door

I have a patio door that scrapes at the bottom when you open it, does anyone know if it can be adjusted. I already took off the sweep at the bottom but it still scrapes the concrete slab outside and doesn't open all the way. I'am thinking of having the concrete slab removed.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-08, 04:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Remove the two top hinge screws furthest from the hinge pin and replace them with 3" screws (preferrably deck screws, and not sheetrock type screws) and tighten them really good. Your door may just be suffering from the sags. Giving it an "attitude adjustment" may help. Let us know.

Old 04-25-08, 08:08 PM
D
It's not sagging as it is a new home they just made the slab outside to high.

Old 04-25-08, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
There's your answer... the slab is too high. IMO, it's nice when exterior slabs are lower than the interior floor level. Less problems with water blowing under the door that way.

By all means, tearout the slab! At a minimum, it ought to slope away from the door threshold. If you live in a frost-prone area, I'd recommend it be kept 1" below bottom of the door sill, which should be a long ways from the door as it swings open! How could you put a door mat out there otherwise?

Old 04-25-08, 08:16 PM
G
Purchase a thicker threshold & then cut the door off to fit the new threshold.
This should give you enough clearance to keep the door from dragging.

Old 04-25-08, 09:17 PM
D
Thanks I guess I will do that then. Everyone keeps telling me the door can be adjusted but I don't see anyway to do it.

Old 04-26-08, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If it is a new house, bring it up to the builder, or to the holder of the Homeowner's warranty. They would be very interested in making the job done right. As XSleeper said, the slab should definitely be lower than the threshold and slope outwards. If it doesn't, you are asking for problems later down the road. Even if you use a thicker threshold, you aren't solving the problem, as the water level is still at flood stage when frozen.