Trex Decking - re-doing my deck

Old 05-12-08, 06:54 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trex Decking - re-doing my deck

This summer I need to redo my deck. Make it a little bigger but I'm looking to change the decking and railing to Trex.

I'm soliciting advice before I get into trouble. I will be making mistakes, I just don't know which ones.

This deck is the main access point from the driveway to the house, so I'm planning to do the work in pieces so that access remains open most of the time I'm working on it. Also, I don't have a lot of time between work and kids sports, so I have to divide the work into bite sized chunks that I can finish in a weekend or a night or whatever.

I'm planning to use my 10" chop saw- can I use a general purpose blade or is there something better to use for Trex?

I intended to use regular 2" SS deck screws, but I recently heard that Trex may have their own screws- is that true?

I plan to reuse as much of the existing framing as I can, though two of the posts have some rot and need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-12-08, 03:17 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
obbay,

Welcome to the forums.

First, are you going to be installing 5/4X6 or 2X6 Trex? What is your present joist spacing? 5/4 Trex will span 16", 2X6 will span 20" and High Strength 2X6 will span 24".

The best blade to use in your 10" miter saw is a 24 tooth carbide rip blade. Any more teeth than that will slow your cutting down and work the saw too hard.

Forget the 2" S.S. screws and use Trapease. They are designed for composite decking and you won't get 'mushrooms'. Plus they will match the color of the deck board. 2" isn't long enough. Use 2-1/2" with 5/4 or 3" with 2X6's.

Working in small sections is doable, but Trex has to be spaced at 1/4" between the boards, and your present deck probably has less than that. Ask your retailer for a few of the yellow Trex spacers. They're free.

Old 05-15-08, 08:48 AM
O
Thanks Lefty!
my existing decking is 1x4 with framing at 16" oc., I was thinking I'd use 5/4 x 6. Thanks for the info about the blade, the Trapease screws and the spacers- that's the reason asked!

Old 08-05-08, 09:39 AM
G
Screws for Trex

Grabber has a composite deck screw which performs better than Trapeze. Let me know if you'd like some samples. Go to www.grabberman.com for more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: