ground-level deck beam + joist + decking = too high!

Old 06-21-08, 04:55 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ground-level deck beam + joist + decking = too high!

Hi
I want to build a ground-level deck that in one corner covers a 10 inch high concrete 4'X4' pad That pad determines my shortest post (highest pier). This is limiting because the pad is in front of the garage man-door and there is just enough room for 5/4 deck board.

I want a 16' X 16' deck that would support a hot-tub .

MY PROBLEM
The pier in that corner with the concrete pad/step will be too high. I want to use the proper post and beam construction here in S. Ontario where frost is an issue. If I use 6" joists on top of 6" beams + 5/4 decking I am already 3 1/4" too high and I probably should be using 8" beams and 8" joists which would put me 7 1/4" too high. (re: hot tub dreams)

Should I:
1) scrape off up to 7 1/4 inches of soil prior to digging for my piers in that corner
2) put my decking directly on the beams but run the beams in the opposite direction and fill in with "blocks" between beams. That is the blocking between the beams would represent joists.
3) remove the pad

option 2 sounds like a bit of a headache but is it sound construction?

Old 06-21-08, 12:08 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
First, remove the concrete pad. It sounds as though that pad is just an inch below the threshold of the door and you don't want to lay your deck board directly on the concrete.

Set your beams (4X6 or 4X8, whichever, depending on how far you are spanning) then use joist hangers to attach your joists between the beams, so that the beam tops and joist tops are flush with each other.

With a hot tub in mind, I would use the 4X8 beams, posts set 5' to 6' apart, 18" square by 42" deep (frost) footings, and set the joists at 12" O.C.

The footings need 18" X 18" X12" at the bottom of the hole, then sonotube up with a 10" sonotube to about 2" or 3" above grade. Set your post base or column base in that.

Old 08-05-08, 11:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face

Thanks...took all advice except removing the pad...which I left...and regretted for a number of reasons but mostly all of the screws I had to put into concrete. I told my wife she can use our new hammer drill anytime she likes...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: